• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

A visual definition of X-Metal

To me X-metal isn't/wasn't just a design philosophy but was also an indication of the materials used to make it. I understand why they stopped making them as the profit margin wasn't high enough, but as has been stated already calling these new designs X-Metals is purely a marketing ploy.

I even understand why they've done it, what gets me though is that they've made these new deigns with cheaper materials but have upped the price point. It just irks me to be honest. If people buy these though it will justify the decision and I expect to see future offerings to follow the same suit.

_DSC5557 copy.jpg

Last edited:
Xmetal to me was more than just sunglasses. To me it was a childhood dream.

I remember saving my ass off for 3 months to get my first pair which I wore the hell out of and still have today.

For 2 years I could only afford that one pair which was a plasma ice. Then I saw the xmetal ruby and just knew I had to have it too lol.

Fast forward 15 years and 100 + pairs later whenever I see a first gen xmetal ruby with the purple lenses I still get excited and cant stop myself from clicking bid. Lol.

The new madman and badman doesnt do that to me. Probably somewhere down the road I will end up with a pair to try em out but they just dont set my pulse racing the way that plasma ice did.

To me, it's the materials. These were supposed to be "virtually indestructible."

O-Matter is not indestructible...not matter what generation. We've seen x-metals get run over by vehicles and still have many parts salvageable. I've never seen plastic sunglasses of any kind endure that.

Here's my favourite pair that ice posted many times before.
image.jpg

I remember saving my ass off for 3 months to get my first pair which I wore the hell out of and still have today.

This replicates my experience pretty well. I had owned a pair of minutes for awhile, and loved them. When they were stolen, I went to a local vault to find a suitable replacement. looking at the whole wall of shades, at the very top, there they were... Juliets. I had no idea at the time what they were exactly, or what made them so special. but after trying them on and holding them, i had to have them. sure enough, they were the most expensive pair in the store! Had to leave and come back some time later to buy them (still in highschool back then). I like alot of oakleys designs today, but cant seem to justify the prices. While I liked the new Carbon blades, I thought "why not spend that money on a nice pair of X-metals?" and so I did. I like the look of the new badman and madman, but the materials just don't justify the cost. The futuristic look of X-metals could always be backed up by the futuristic design and materials, can the same be said for the new offerings?

I remember saving my ass off for 3 months to get my first pair
Me too, I saw them and had to save up for a couple of months to afford them =]

I had no idea at the time what they were exactly, or what made them so special. but after trying them on and holding them, i had to have them.
Ditto!

While I liked the new Carbon blades, I thought "why not spend that money on a nice pair of X-metals?"
I asked myself the same question - then I bought my CBs at an appropriate discount.

I like the look of the new badman and madman, but the materials just don't justify the cost.
A lot of us feel this way. I will only purchase these at a discount - I'm not paying that retail :p

For 2 years I could only afford that one pair which was a plasma ice. Then I saw the xmetal ruby and just knew I had to have it too lol.

Fast forward 15 years and 100 + pairs later whenever I see a first gen xmetal ruby with the purple lenses I still get excited and cant stop myself from clicking bid. Lol.

The new madman and badman doesnt do that to me. Probably somewhere down the road I will end up with a pair to try em out but they just dont set my pulse racing the way that plasma ice did.

Nice sharing, can't stop yourself... hahaha... this is cream of marketing, target the child.... I own an Mitsubishi because when I was a elementary I heard the ad over and over on the radio, now here it is. So back to topic, yes, x metal is the feeling, the art... I hope the next big thing happen, maybe in 10 years, a combination of outstanding design, material mixed and maybe space/rocket technology, but not sure if they could beat the 5 millions or so X metal already in the hand of super loyal supporters. Oh by the way, our collections of lenses based on the point of Japanese cuteness, many many colors, that one buyer just buy lenses to display... amazing.

To me, it's the materials. These were supposed to be "virtually indestructible."

O-Matter is not indestructible...not matter what generation. We've seen x-metals get run over by vehicles and still have many parts salvageable. I've never seen plastic sunglasses of any kind endure that.

Here's my favourite pair that ice posted many times before.
View attachment 129646

I guess, yours R1 is over 15 years old .... nice

Me too, I saw them and had to save up for a couple of months to afford them =]

Haha you know whats the funny thing, in those 3 months I must have tried em on like 10 times everytime i go pass an optical shop.

The only other thing I wanted so badly was when I first saw the lambo diablo. Rofl Im still saving up for that.

Back