• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Abandoned Amusement Park

Nice vid and thanks for sharing. I wouldn't call myself and environmentalist but it bothersome to see there are companies and people who are able to build things like this and abandon them and not be responsible for having to remove it all. Clearly this is this area is not suitable for any type of development and probably never will be. It should be left for nature and wildlife to prosper. I just wish that there was some way to make the owners be required by law to clean up their mess opposed to leaving it to decay, become an eye-sore, and contaminate the surrounding area.

Around 2000 New Orleans got an amusement park, Jazzland. I never went but I had friends that did and they all said it sucked. It was hot, no shade, lines were too long, everything too expensive, and worst of all, it was in New Orleans East, not the safest part of town. The park was built on a swamp so it's surrounded by swamp with alligators and mosquitos. My mom worked in real estate at the time and did the closing on the land when the developers bought it from the city. She told them what everyone else told them, this was the wrong place for it. The park only lasted 2 years before the owners pulled out. Six Flags came in and bought the property and reopened it in 2003. From what I heard it was no better. That only last a year and half. The park closed a week before Katrina hit on August 29, 2005 and never reopened. The sign still says closed for storm.

It's about a 10 minute drive from my house so I've been out there a few times over the years to check it out. About 5 years ago security started patrolling the park and it was no longer possible to get in. This morning my dad and I went out with my drone to get some footage. This is a short clip of what we saw. The swamp is slowly reclaiming it.

Love it.

Back