• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

About To Be Sick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea stuff made in China is crap...

Including this ipad I'm typing on... Pure crap.

Welcome to the forum. And welcome to America in the new millennium.

It is difficult to find items that do not source anything from China. Their labor is cheap, their material is cheap, their laws aren't restrictive, their taxes are cheap, their government is corrupt (well, I'm not sure that's a contrasting argument)... it's a capitalist's dream. And we, as Americans, are born and bred to make money. And then make more money. Something the Italians apparently share.

So, a company that answers to one man is sold into a conglomerate run by a board, answering to shareholders. How do you make more money? Market diversification. Target certain demographics (in this case 20-something upper to upper-middle class active people). Cut the products with high overhead and low profit margins (X-metals). Decrease manufacturing costs (China). Decrease raw material costs (China). Utilize company assets more effectively (China).

It's been a trend for decades.

Does Oakley NEED to be made in the USA? Is it a commodity that loses quality or value by moving production? Not if a seamless transition is made.

Now, there will be people arguing until they're blue in the face that Luxottica is killing Oakley, that China production is the new reality, that the new stuff is not up to the same quality standards. But there have been a few quiet voices that have stuck their necks out around here that not many people are willing to listen to. The fact that Oakley can't keep up with demand is a strong indicator that they needs a new manufacturing facility. And a year ago they couldn't keep certain pairs on the shelves. Say hello to Luxottica's wealth of world-wide manufacturing facilities. For the cost of dies they can tool up and have their production needs met. It would be silly not to.

All that said, I'm not particularly happy either. But if you separate the wheat from the chaff there's still a mad scientist or two at Oakley giving us some killer pairs.

Sorry to bring all of this into a thread on your first post, but it's been brewing and I needed an outlet.

Once again, welcome!
This should be sent to every member as they register and have them read it like a EULA :)

Rich get richer its to bad I just watch the video about oakley how they pretty much had to take one for the team to stay in business =(

It has been beaten to death but the dirty lux and dirty Chinese Factories have combined to produce inferior product. To ban that topic really doesn't do service to help people new to o That think today 's junk is what Oakley is about.
Omg I meant dirty Chinese factories so sorry about the way that sounded all I know is my Flaks and Sj made in America are way better quality I don't buy a lot other than clothes and my Toyota made god knows where so really I can only speak to Lux Blindfold me and put a Chinese made Sj in one hand and American one in the other and I can tell several differences Lenses have remained great though

Last edited:
Yea stuff made in China is crap...

Including this ipad I'm typing on... Pure crap.
Just be aware people have thrown them selves out of building windows for making ipads. Working to many hours made them go crazy.

Welcome to the forum. And welcome to America in the new millennium.

It is difficult to find items that do not source anything from China. Their labor is cheap, their material is cheap, their laws aren't restrictive, their taxes are cheap, their government is corrupt (well, I'm not sure that's a contrasting argument)... it's a capitalist's dream. And we, as Americans, are born and bred to make money. And then make more money. Something the Italians apparently share.

So, a company that answers to one man is sold into a conglomerate run by a board, answering to shareholders. How do you make more money? Market diversification. Target certain demographics (in this case 20-something upper to upper-middle class active people). Cut the products with high overhead and low profit margins (X-metals). Decrease manufacturing costs (China). Decrease raw material costs (China). Utilize company assets more effectively (China).

It's been a trend for decades.

Does Oakley NEED to be made in the USA? Is it a commodity that loses quality or value by moving production? Not if a seamless transition is made.

Now, there will be people arguing until they're blue in the face that Luxottica is killing Oakley, that China production is the new reality, that the new stuff is not up to the same quality standards. But there have been a few quiet voices that have stuck their necks out around here that not many people are willing to listen to. The fact that Oakley can't keep up with demand is a strong indicator that they needs a new manufacturing facility. And a year ago they couldn't keep certain pairs on the shelves. Say hello to Luxottica's wealth of world-wide manufacturing facilities. For the cost of dies they can tool up and have their production needs met. It would be silly not to.

All that said, I'm not particularly happy either. But if you separate the wheat from the chaff there's still a mad scientist or two at Oakley giving us some killer pairs.

Sorry to bring all of this into a thread on your first post, but it's been brewing and I needed an outlet.

Once again, welcome!

I agree wholeheartedly with this. China does not mean cheap. Because cheap products have been made in China, doesn't mean it's all cheap. There's plenty of crap made in other countries too.

The biggest irony is that all the western governments chastise China for it's human rights abuses, yet it is these very abuses that allow the western civilisation to continue to get rich by continuing to support these abuses and cheap labor by manufacturing there. History is overflowing with examples of the rich getting rich off of poor peoples backs, and that is exactly what Luxottica are doing here.

Oh man see edit I can't type obviously I meant symbolically dirty Chinese FACTORIES and left that word out Chinese people are great.... sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back