• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Actual VLT for 24k Polarized Lenses

madmax237

Oakley Beginner
I'm looking at the oakley clifdens with prism 24k Polarized lenses (also getting them in prescription). I'm going to use them in part for hiking in the snow, so low VLT is important to me, and i've found conflicting information on what they actually offer.

Sport Rx website's helpful guides suggests the are at 11% VLT, which is what i'm looking for.

But oakelys own (not very good) website says they let through 77% of light, which would suggest 13% VLT (but also not 100% clear if this is referring to hte prism polarized version).

Anyone know the truth here?

If you’re planning on using them for hiking in snow and want a low VLT, you should consider Prizm snow black.

Yeah prizm snow black would be great, but from what I can see it's not available in prescription. There's prizm black polarized, which seems to be 11% VLT (or 10% from other sources i've seen). I prefer the colors and look of the gold base though if that is also 11%.

I think generally 11% should be good enough for most snow hiking apart from true high altitude mountaineering - I have a pair of maui jim glasses with 12% vlt that i've used for snow pretty extensively and they worked pretty well (but could maybe be a little darker).

Back