• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Adding clear coat to preserve original finish

like I said, I like to make up my own definition.

Fixed it...

some people would consider laminating a baseball card as preserving but not me (and not you apparently).

No, I wouldn't laminate a baseball card; I'd put it in a sleeve. But that's a different use case than taking a 24K XX and wearing them around. It's like comparing how you'd treat a collectible toy that's still NIB to one that's been, and is being, played with. Different use cases.

I never said letting it deteriorate would preserve it. you'd have to be stupid to think that.

Funny, I thought your main advice on this topic was this quote:

you're better off to just keep wearing it, IMO. when it gets to a point where it's too bad you can't even wear it, then that's when you get it refinished.

I use a protective nano ceramic clear coat on the frames I plate. It looks amazing and protects the finish very well. Oakley also uses type of clear on some of their x metal finishes as well. The pics below all have the clear coat on them.

image3.jpg
image2.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_1406-1.JPG

I guess we all have different definitions of preserving. personally, I wouldn't consider applying a clear coat as preserving. now, if the clear coat was removable without damaging the original finish then I'd say yes.
Most clear coats are removable without damaging the underlying material. You just have to be smart enough to know what to use.

I'm grateful for all the feedback on the topic this far! I am leaning towards the clear coat option as this pair in particular is in pretty good shape in my estimation and I'd love to wear it without fear of ruining the original finish. I'll be sure to post a picture of them tonight since I've yet to do so.

I'm extremely new to sunglasses, but have done a fair bit of customising / plating / painting of motorcycle parts and golf clubs over the years....

I find it hard to see how long-term you'll get a lacquer / clear-coat on thin enough to look good etc, but thats also hard enough so it wont wear through at the rub points and expose the copper. Which will then patina of course.

I look forward to seeing you show us 'how its done' !

Oakley copper penny's. have a similar coating, and what I use is specifically designed for jewelry .

KLIAR-CB is the original nano-ceramic e-coating intended for technical finishing purposes. The e-coating is infused with nano-ceramic particles which are undetectable by the human eye. These particles make the coating more abrasion resistant than traditional coatings as well as providing a metallic sensation to the touch. The flexible curing range allows for the treatment of the majority of metallic substrates to include zamak. The achievable thickness ranges from 5-18 micron. KLIAR nano-ceramic coatings also allow for major improvements in resistance to both UV light and corrosion passing the most used standardized normative testing.

Back