• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Advice Please: X Squared Vs Juliet

canhoto

Oakley Beginner
Being that I'm not a collector, I can't simply buy both of them be done with it. That said, I need your help.

I'm starting to save up for my first x-metals. Whichever may come, the colourway is just one: Carbon/Black Iridium (non polarized - will have to do custom Juliets if I buy those). The thing is, since I'm a user and not a collector, I'm worried about the fit of the X Squared.

I can't try them on, because sellers in my country never have x-metals so I have "to play it by ear". I know the Juliet fits me because I managed to try one a few years ago.

So what I want to know is, how does the X Squared compare to the Fuel Cell in lens size? Smaller, bigger? Shorter, but wider? Straighter, but taller?

The Fuel Cell is about the maximum lens size for my face. Anything bigger and I might as well wear a Cyclops visor.

I know most of you will say "just buy the Juliet and worry no more". Although I'd love to have one, the design of the X Squared appeals a bit more to me than the Juliet, so I'm more inclined to leave it to a later purchase (not throwing it completely out of the table though :p).

By the way: If I make a custom Juliet, it won't come with the coin and the vault (unless I pay extra), right?

Being that I'm not a collector, I can't simply buy both of them be done with it. That said, I need your help.

I'm starting to save up for my first x-metals. Whichever may come, the colourway is just one: Carbon/Black Iridium (non polarized - will have to do custom Juliets if I buy those). The thing is, since I'm a user and not a collector, I'm worried about the fit of the X Squared.

I can't try them on, because sellers in my country never have x-metals so I have "to play it by ear". I know the Juliet fits me because I managed to try one a few years ago.

So what I want to know is, how does the X Squared compare to the Fuel Cell in lens size? Smaller, bigger? Shorter, but wider? Straighter, but taller?

The Fuel Cell is about the maximum lens size for my face. Anything bigger and I might as well wear a Cyclops visor.

I know most of you will say "just buy the Juliet and worry no more". Although I'd love to have one, the design of the X Squared appeals a bit more to me than the Juliet, so I'm more inclined to leave it to a later purchase (not throwing it completely out of the table though :p).

By the way: If I make a custom Juliet, it won't come with the coin and the vault (unless I pay extra), right?

I hear the X-Squared fits extremely well.. and that they are tighter than Juliets..

The X-Squared definitely has bigger lens coverage than the Juliet and as BriP has mentioned, I recall the X-Squared being a tighter fit than the Juliet.

Cosmetically, unless you're getting the polished Juliet, the ear stems will be the straight ones as opposed to the hammerstems. The X-Squared has a nice ear stem design as well.

If you get the Juliet customized, I'd think it still come with the Juliet box and coin.

X Squared is a little tighter....thought I would argue that some of the tightness is due to the fact the X Squared doesn't flex as much at the nosebridge especially when putting them on the normal way (I don't, I put and and remove like goggles) so its somewhat of an illusion. More coverage yes (in fact one complaint is the bottom of the frame touches your cheek although it doesn't on my huge head.

Here is my take on your question of which: How easy/hard is it for you to send in your glasses to Oakley because if you go Juliet they will need tuned if you use them heavily so you might not want a Juliet if its a pain to ship to Oakley. I would personally NEVER advise a Juliet for everyday wear---they are the Holy Grail of sunglasses IMO but I have always felt they are a bit "fragile" feeling and not as secure on my head as I would like...the X Squared feels more robust and durable-like I could knock them around and have no issues. I've often said the X Squared is very much a Juliet 2.0 in that many of the design quirks that make the Juliet somewhat high maintenance have been eliminated.

Finally, you'll save money with an X Squared. If you want black/black, especially in the secondary market (ebay etc), they can be had for low $200 usd new.

The squared fits tighter, but oakley completely redesigned the stems so they clamp on the side of your head like more traditional Oakleys. The Juliet stems are very long, thick, and basically will not bend, so they have to be fairly wide since all the flex comes from the nose bridge. On the squared the stems are thin and tall to allow them some degree of flex. They do not rely as much on flex from the nose bridge so they can have a tighter fit from the start. I've only gotten one custom X Juliet, and they came with the custom box, and no coin, though they may have changed that since.

Back