• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Aftermarket Replacement Lense....

My Revant titanium mirrored came in yesterday and it is very cool. I like the base coat and the frame fit is perfect wit no gaps, as usual with Revant. Let me know if you'd like to see some pics, bud
yes please - pictures would be great....

I'm assuming Revant uses the same "titanium mirrored stock" to make all of their lenses regardless of what model of lenses they are or what frames they go in ??

Personally, though I am firmly in the camp against aftermarket lenses, I really don't care what people choose to use - we're all adults making our own decisions; I'm not anybody's keeper.

For me it's about "Just Say Know" - people should be empowered about the decisions they make. If they know the facts and still want to choose something ill-advised, well, that's what freedom's about...

That said, here's some "know" - Litos and others may have already read some of this elsewhere but I wanted to point out something key:

Many have said they've tried aftermarkets and they look fine. But, understand that you won't be able to tell just by looking. Your eyes will unconsciously correct for you; you won't even notice it. But it has a long term effect. Sometimes all that eye-correcting can lead to headaches after extended wearing periods. Others don't even experience that (or don't wear them long enough at once), but over a long enough period of time there can be actual damage to the eyes. Ignoring that is kinda like ignoring the risks of smoking - You're aware it's bad for you but without actually experiencing the negative effects day-to-day, the short-term returns seem to outweigh the long-term risks, until its too late...

Qtrain's a great member and I'm not trying to criticize him, but he was involved in a recent aftermarket lens snafu that is the perfect object lesson:
http://www.oakleyforum.com/threads/custom-lens-review-thread.31370/

The first page has some back-and-forth about optical quality. Once you get to the second page, the reviews start pouring in - they're great! High quality! Crystal clear! We all love them! Then, (after a member who initially praised them started getting headaches) they were put through an optical test. And they turned out to be optically worse than most aftermarkets, the same ones they were earlier praised as being better than. But nobody could tell how bad they were before they went through the test. The lesson? Don't rely on subjective (opinion) data when evaluating; find objective (fact) sources.

Okay I'm spent; enjoy your aftermarkets, if you choose to go that way. It's all good...

uploadfromtaptalk1405718155112.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1405718159829.jpg

^^^^ holy crap !!!!!

looks like i'll be expediting my purchase...

those look amazing - I didn't think Hyundai made parts like that HAHA !!!!

but in all seriousness, I think I'm going to buy a set to test them out...

I typically have all of my frames and lenses on rotation and only wear them @ 30 minutes a day (15 to work, 15 back)...

on long motorcycle rides, I'll keep my Fires or my BIP.....

thanks for the pics burner of frets :)

that's why I'm getting my own so I can form my own opinion :)

Uh, that kinda misses my point, that you can't rely on opinion for optics (including one's own opinion...)

But it doesn't matter - like I said, I'm not trying to tell anybody what to do, just sharing (what I think is) important info for consideration...

And it doesn't look like y'all are interested in hearing it so I'll sit back and shut up now...:drinks:

Uh, that kinda misses my point, that you can't rely on opinion for optics (including one's own opinion...)

But it doesn't matter - like I said, I'm not trying to tell anybody what to do, just sharing (what I think is) important info for consideration...

And it doesn't look like y'all are interested in hearing it so I'll sit back and shut up now...:drinks:
oh I was definitely interested in hearing - that's why I read each thread carefully and read IH's post...

but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do....

after I get these lenses in and I post pics in the "what oakleys are you wearing today thread", i'll be sure to say here are my optically terrible and potentially headache causing Titanium Iridium Revant lenses on my Radars :)

good thing I've always had great eyes....

not being able to read a chart with little letter is not going to keep me from wearin these lenses twice for 15 minutes - c'mon man...

i'll let you know if I get headaches....

Back