• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Allergy / Allergy to metals

Artos74

Oakley Beginner

Apologies if my question sounds stupid, I just want to know before buying sunglasses.

Would you know if someone with allergy to metals could wear Oakley with Iridium lenses? I am not sure since you don’t touch it like other metals, but are close to your eyes and nose. Would them cause any irritation, itchiness in nose etc. Any advice and help would be much appreciated. Thank you

Apologies if my question sounds stupid, I just want to know before buying sunglasses.

Would you know if someone with allergy to metals could wear Oakley with Iridium lenses? I am not sure since you don’t touch it like other metals, but are close to your eyes and nose. Would them cause any irritation, itchiness in nose etc. Any advice and help would be much appreciated. Thank you
I don't think Iridium coated lenses are actually coated with the element Iridium ... Which appears to be metal like according to Wikipedia?

I would discuss this with the person's allergy physician. While I doubt that they would have any trouble at all, some people's skin is extremely sensitive and it would be a good idea to talk about it with their physician. Good luck!

I think it is an aluminum oxide coating, @Rustpot would probably know better than I though. So technically, i guess it could cause an allergy?

I think it is an aluminum oxide coating, @Rustpot would probably know better than I though. So technically, i guess it could cause an allergy?
"Metal" allergies are typically nickel or other heavy metals used in alloying stainless and silver. Which is why Sterling (pure) silver and titanium (no nickel like stainless) are considered hypo-allergenic.

"Metal" allergies are typically nickel or other heavy metals used in alloying stainless and silver. Which is why Sterling (pure) silver and titanium (no nickel like stainless) are considered hypo-allergenic.
So what is aluminum oxide, as opposed to aluminum?

So what is aluminum oxide, as opposed to aluminum?

Aluminum oxide is a compound formed with aluminum and oxygen. Aluminum is a metal, but most aluminums you'll find are alloys.

And the coating that makes up the mirror on lenses is made up of different elements, mainly silicon, two other metals/compounds that escape me

Latest Posts

Back