• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Almost Burned On CL- Fake Jawbones

Rustpot

M Frame Lover
Clarkston/Romeo MI
i just got back from meeting a guy who had a set of Jawbones for sale on CraigsList. He wanted $100 for what is described as:

"Selling these Oakleys, they are in perfect, like new condition, comes with a case, and cloth.

$100 or best offer"

I offered $75 and he accepted. Got to the meet, he handed me the case and I instantly smelled something fishy. The case was too light, squished easily. The Glasses felt thin, light... something was off. I checked the lenses, which were grubby but not scratched, then I realized.. These don't have vents... or a HINGE. Pretty accurate Oakley logos, raised lettering for Made in USA and Jawbone inside the stems.

I'm no Oakley pro, I'm not aware of all of the cases, iterations, intricacies, etc. I was excited since I decided my next pair was going to be a Jawbone or Split Jacket, barring any great deals, and I saw these posted today and jumped in with both feet.

He claimed he traded a set of Police Radars for them. I apologized for the news and wished him a good night.

Maybe you guys are sharp enough to call it a fake right off, but I was duped until I had them in hand.

Images saved for when the ad is pulled

Last edited by a moderator:
That's intense. This is why I'm skeptical of Craigslist but at least you didn't buy them on the internet and find out once you received them.

Yeah whenever you see those kinds of cases they always indicate a fake! Also the Oakley symbol on the bridge of the nose is a dead give away for the jawbone. Some frames do have it but most of them do not.

Glad you didn't get taken. The case is an easy read, should not have and Oakley tag (and a bad one at that). Anytime "comes with a cloth" is mention is another fed flag. Oakley does not put cleaning cloths with sunglasses. Accident avoided.

One of the great things about this forum is that you won't get fake stuff. Plus a lot of the guys here are walking encyclopedias of all things Oakley.

P.S. My Split Jackets need a new owner! :D

Man good call. A lot of the stuff on Craigslist in my area is fake. I saw the pictures and the case was the first thing that caught my eye then the letters between the lenses.

But they do make jawbones without Vents in the lenses I have non vented black iridium lenses in mine.

I actually handled a pair of fake Jawbones from a Craigslist seller. On the surface they looked pretty convincing. However the plastic had a little more flex to it. The jaw opening was a bit flimsy and the lenses color was a bit off. But it could probably fool the uneducated

I had no idea about the case. I've seen a soft vault that had the two-tone look before.

And like I said, I don't know enough to spot the presence or lack thereof of a nose bridge logo to spot a fake. I guess I should do a little more research before I go meeting people on CL again.

One of the great things about this forum is that you won't get fake stuff. Plus a lot of the guys here are walking encyclopedias of all things Oakley.

P.S. My Split Jackets need a new owner! :D

I like it here already, great members.

I don't do white frames or else I probably would have picked those up. I plan on getting a Wind Jacket gasket if I get Splits, just for fun I guess. They may be a great motorcycle setup.

Back