• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Almost Positive I Have A Minute Machine Fake

So as the title suggests, I'm almost positive I'm in possession of a minute machine fake. I don't have any pictures at the moment but the funny thing is that everything outlined in the other threads on this matter show that this is a legit minute machine. Band is correct, case is titanium, saphire crystal with a blue hue under certain light, face is correct, back plate is correct, watch came with all the paperwork and the correct boxes. Now for the part that makes me positive it's fake, battery was dead and when it was opened to replace the battery the guts on the watch are plastic?? Has anyone else seen the inside of a genuine minute machine? It surely can't be plastic with a watch of this caliber?

Heres a gearbox internals (not like it matters but this is a titanium edition-should all be the same except the automatic one of course)
You see a giant white plastic "stopper" that holds the movement and battery in place and the other picture is with the stopper removed

Swiss, RONDA, EOL (end of life) R9. 5 jewel are the fine prints

DSC05352.JPG

DSC05253.JPG

ronda swiss.jpg

Still off topic here (apologies). But you cannot compare Oakley to Breitling as a Watch maker. I know it has been mentioned here previously, but just using an eta movement does not cut the mustard. Yes, fakes contain Swiss movements too ! Breitling doesn't even use complete movements either, they buy parts of the highest grade and test them all to the enth' degree. It roughly takes 14 months to make 1 watch.
I do however like some of the Oakley watches, but they are more in line with an Accurist or Citizen piece.

Still off topic here (apologies). But you cannot compare Oakley to Breitling as a Watch maker. I know it has been mentioned here previously, but just using an eta movement does not cut the mustard. Yes, fakes contain Swiss movements too ! Breitling doesn't even use complete movements either, they buy parts of the highest grade and test them all to the enth' degree. It roughly takes 14 months to make 1 watch.
I do however like some of the Oakley watches, but they are more in line with an Accurist or Citizen piece.

ETA used to be Valjoux, which Breitling were quite happily buying off the shelf in the 60s and 70s. Along with everyone else, this obsession with in house manufacture is a much more recent development.

Didn't watch the video on my phone, but I guarantee you it takes significantly less than 14 months to make a single Breitling. 14 months lead time for a new model perhaps, definitively not for a single build.

The fakes often have a Chinese clone of a Swiss movement, rather than the Swiss one itself.

I agree with not putting Oakleys amongst the mid tier makes though!

ETA is the result of a consolidation of various different Swiss movement manufacturers, one of them was Valjoux, another was Lemania.

The recent move to in house for a lot of the higher end manufacturers is out of necessity more than obsession. ETA have slowly been cutting supply to most of these over the past years under strict guidelines, and others have had to source or develop alternative movements. ETA wanted to cut supply immediately but they were not allowed to do so.

Some fakes have Chinese clones yes, the better fakes have had genuine movements in them.

Last edited:
ETA is the result of a consolidation of various different Swiss movement manufacturers, one of them was Valjoux, another was Lemania.

The recent move to in house for a lot of the higher end manufacturers is out of necessity more than obsession. ETA have slowly been cutting supply to most of these over the past years under strict guidelines, and others have had to source or develop alternative movements. ETA wanted to cut supply immediately but they were not allowed to do so.

Some fakes have Chinese clones yes, the better fakes have had genuine movements in them.
Thanks very much Nicholas Hayek... Shouldn't speak ill of the dead though, I guess.

The Nivarox position with hair springs was/is potentially even more concerning.

Back