• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

American Pickers

look at real life, and look at tv, the show CAN and probably does exaggerate / dramatize their ****.

No, I get that they probably take 10-20x more footage than used and pick the extreme cases, but it's not like Pawn Stars where they're swapping items out, the producers are bringing people into the shop, you can't tell if their stories are real, etc. With Pickers there's got to be a wider array of people searching for these old hoarders with finds. I can't imagine a business being profitable $100 at a time with two guys on the road all the time.

No, I get that they probably take 10-20x more footage than used and pick the extreme cases, but it's not like Pawn Stars where they're swapping items out, the producers are bringing people into the shop, you can't tell if their stories are real, etc. With Pickers there's got to be a wider array of people searching for these old hoarders with finds. I can't imagine a business being profitable $100 at a time with two guys on the road all the time.

thats what i asked myself. ok theyre on the road supposedly ALL the time. When they do buy things the again supposedly make a profit of somewhere between 25 and 200. How can they have a business like that paying hotel, rent in their warehouse, gas for the van, foot etc etc etc...

about parking wars i think that one is one of the most realest ones i think.

Uh - they're called "reality shows" for a reason. Because they're real. I don't believe ANY staging goes into ANY reality shows. If someone told me that there was some scripting going on in Survivor it would pretty much crush my world.

I would say though that having your "star" who is a man wearing women's sunglasses would add credibility that it IS real. You'd hope that if it was staged they'd get those kind of wrinkles out.

Imagine Brad Pitt wearing Pockets instead of Mars Leather? Or Tom Cruise with some Teaspoons.

Pawn stars isn't staged they literally have thousands of items walk into that shop every day. They just show us the good or bad ones.

I did notice the boys on Auction hunters usually have a pair on in the show. As with any reality show... there are strings or truth or "realness" mixed in for the ideas, items or people but it is all staged for television.

Back