• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

An addiction or a hobby???

When I was able to first afford contact lenses back in the 90's, I bought my first sunglasses, two pairs of Ray Bans. Those were what I was using but I was really attracted to different styles of cheap pairs and so for years I rotated my Ray Bans with cheap sunglasses of different types.

I became frustrated with the lousy optics of cheap sunglasses and I was considering buying more Ray Ban products due to the awesome optics. Then 2 years ago, I saw a posting on a bargains site I frequent, Bens Bargains, for a pair of affordable Oakley sunglasses. I pulled the trigger on the Dispatch II pair, and when I got them I was really impressed with the optics. So I did some internet surfing and saw some other Oakleys and went to my local SGH, found myself buying a pair of Holbrooks and saw this awesome Juliet Jade Iridium pair that I came back and bought.

I was really loving Oakleys and then I found this forum. Oh it was all over then. I saw so many different pairs and the love people obviously had. Now two years later, I own 40 pairs of Oakleys. I have slowed down only slightly of late but still impulse pairs I run across. Addicted to collecting Oakley sunglasses most certainly.

Let us be reminded that we all are addicted to an art piece and we are now considered to be a proud patron and it's curator!

Addiction by definition is something you can't resist AND that has a negative impact on your life. I mean me, like some before me noted, could stop actually collecting Oakley tomorrow (along with with sneakers, watches and gas guzzling muscle cars LOL) and be fine...and I actually have pared down to one of EACH of those things multiple times in the past....so that's key to me.

"Not An Addict"

It's not a habit, it's cool, I feel alive
If you don't have it you're on the other side

The deeper you stick it in your vein
The deeper the thoughts, there's no more pain
I'm in heaven, I'm a god
I'm everywhere, I feel so hot

It's not a habit, it's cool, I feel alive
If you don't have it you're on the other side
I'm not an addict (maybe that's a lie)

Last edited:
could stop actually collecting Oakley tomorrow (along with with sneakers, watches and gas guzzling muscle cars LOL) and be fine...
I can give up watches and glasses, but I will NEVER give up driving awesome cars...

and my wife will never drive a POS, either...

addiction ?? maybe HAHAHA !!!!

;););)
i call mind an expensive fad...

I won't be wearing or collecting Oakleys forever...

I just got into it last year, but it's not something that would cripple me if I stopped wearing Oakley sunglasses...

I'm enjoying my time here and I'm enjoying wearing different types of Oakleys, regardless if I up and sell everything 3 or 4 or even 40 months from now...

sincerely,
someone that had never wore sunglasses in their life until last year
@Litos So how's your fad going. Seems like you spend a lot on fads ;)

;););)
@Litos So how's your fad going. Seems like you spend a lot on fads ;)
Since that last post 10 months ago:

- bought 1 used XMetal for myself (completes my collection of 9)
- bought 3 Frogs for my son (2 used)
- bought 2 Frogs for my little brother and his wife
- bought a Turbine for my older brother
- gave away 3 pair to my older brother and dad (Radar and 2 Holbrooks)

That's pretty much it...

I've given away more of my "collection" than I've bought...

It's not an addiction, just a casual fad I'm into right now...

If it was an addiction, I'd have 30-40 XMetals by now, but I have to distribute my disposable income amongst many other interests ;)

I'm simply balancing all of my toys...

Last edited:
P.S.
If I was "addicted", I would have just kept all the Oakleys I've bought and given away to my family members hahaha !!!

I like to make them happy, and if it means sharing my current "fad", then so be it :)

OAKLEYS FOR EVERYONE !!!

Back