• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Anodized xmetal frames

Orion

I hit things with sticks....
I'm considering having a juliet frame anodized. The very last piece of information I'm looking to get is......

If you have an xmetal frame that has been anodized how as it stood up to wear?

I realize that nothing last forever (except death and "taxes - for those of us who live in the US").

I'm just trying to guage how long before the finish will loose it's luster from normal wear and good care.

Thanks

I got mine last week, so not enough time to see any change yet. Might want to get @zwc0442 involved in this discussion. I'm sure he can provide the info tgat you're looking for
Thanks Beast!

I've read other "jewelry" forums and jewelry that comes into contact with human skin has some susceptibility to fade. In most cases the frame won't touch skin due to rubbers but I'd still like to hear what other's may have experience with

I've got a few frames I've had anodized for about a year. Only wear that has happened is on the inside tips of the earstems from putting them on and off. But other than that nothing else. But my tio2 R1 that I refinished around the same time has similar wear on the same spots on the inside of the tips of the arms. So it holds up similarly to other finishes. But could probably avoid some of the wear by sliding glasses off the top of my head but I just put them on like any other pair

I believe that the finish of anodizing is quite a bit harder than the titanium itself so it's probably better than the Coatings that they put on from the factory

Anodizing actually is a modification of the oxide layer of titanium. Basically it modifies the way that the light bounces back giving you the different colours. The oxide layer that forms on titanium is extremely tough and part of the structure of the metal. Therefore is less likely to be rubbed off. In fact to get rid of it you would probably have to sand blast or equivalent.

Obviously if you scratch the metal this would modify the structure and you would be back to metal.

Anodizing actually is a modification of the oxide layer of titanium. Basically it modifies the way that the light bounces back giving you the different colours. The oxide layer that forms on titanium is extremely tough and part of the structure of the metal. Therefore is less likely to be rubbed off. In fact to get rid of it you would probably have to sand blast or equivalent.

Obviously if you scratch the metal this would modify the structure and you would be back to metal.
lol very true ive tried to see how tough the anodized finish is (not on my oakleys) but sandblast was basically the only thing i could do to get it off

I would be interested in understanding if applying a layer of clearcote (if that is the correct name) would maintain the coloud but prevent the issue of the oil getting on it.

I believe that the finish of anodizing is quite a bit harder than the titanium itself so it's probably better than the Coatings that they put on from the factory
I was not sure about saying it, but makes perfect sense. Aluminium, or Aluminum for our US cousins :p , and also Magnesium all have very tough oxides and this is what prevents them from being extremely reactive and able to be used in manufacturing. Aviation is a particularly interesting one, both metals are used because they are lightweight and strong. Magnesium, is used in aircraft used in a marine environment due to high corrosion resistance. However the same material is used in flares due to its brightness from burning. Titanium probably falls into the same category as these metals.

Kind of also shows why the manufacturing of X-Metal was a risky business.