• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Another dead artist

Are they hot?

Mary Ann then...

maryann.jpg

Mary Ann now...

maryannnow.jpg

Ginger then...

ginger.jpg

Ginger now...

ginger old.jpg

I remember once staying up late watching MTV (back when they actually played Music Tele-Vision) and they played the World Premiere of a video from a new artist, praising him as being a super-spectacular awesome next-big-thing.

It was Prince's "When Doves Cry".
Prince had already broken through by then, thanks to the 1999 album. 1999 and Little Red Corvette were both pretty big singles so I think your memory might be playing tricks - he was already the super-spectacular awesome big-thing before When Doves Cry :D Great track though!

Prince had already broken through by then, thanks to the 1999 album. 1999 and Little Red Corvette were both pretty big singles so I think your memory might be playing tricks - he was already the super-spectacular awesome big-thing before When Doves Cry :D Great track though!

Yes and no - yes, those songs preceded Purple Rain but no, my memory is not playing tricks - you have to remember that in the early '80s, we didn't have the same access to info and media as we do now, especially as kids whose exposure to such was still largely controlled by our parents... I was 9 when 1999 was released (in '82) and 11 for Purple Rain...

The WDC premiere was my first exposure to Prince, and it was hyped as I described it. Those earlier singles, which I came to know later, may have driven that hype, but in the personal narrative of my life, that's when he first existed.

My parents didn't listen to that sort of stuff and '83 - '84 was around when I first got to discover my own tunes (on an old-as-**** radio with an analog tuner) and started breaking the rules by watching MTV after my parents were asleep (officially I wasn't allowed to watch that channel...)

Which, not coincidentally, is why Van Halen first existed for me with the release of their album 1984... ;)

Times change.

Yes and no - yes, those songs preceded Purple Rain but no, my memory is not playing tricks - you have to remember that in the early '80s, we didn't have the same access to info and media as we do now, especially as kids whose exposure to such was still largely controlled by our parents... I was 9 when 1999 was released (in '82) and 11 for Purple Rain...

The WDC premiere was my first exposure to Prince, and it was hyped as I described it. Those earlier singles, which I came to know later, may have driven that hype, but in the personal narrative of my life, that's when he first existed.

My parents didn't listen to that sort of stuff and '83 - '84 was around when I first got to discover my own tunes (on an old-as-**** radio with an analog tuner) and started breaking the rules by watching MTV after my parents were asleep (officially I wasn't allowed to watch that channel...)

Which, not coincidentally, is why Van Halen first existed for me with the release of their album 1984... ;)

Times change.
Makes sense - I am a few years older than you so Prince hit my consciousness around 1999 rather than Purple Rain :)

Latest Posts

Back