• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Another Ethical Exchange Posting Question

Hando

Oakley Expert
Didn't want to steal Greg's thunder out of his thread.. so here's my dilemma and a question.

I don't want to appear like I'm scalping (which already sounds bad as I type it) but it might be, and I apologize immensely if I upset anybody with this.

In a drunken "look what I can do" stupor of spending too much money, I dared the oakley vault when the rootbeer blender popped up as I was refreshing it and won't say I accidentally ordered four pairs. I definitely on purpose fueled by alcoholism and a hoarder mentaility ordered four pairs of blenders. I didn't actually think the order would go through. Totally apologize if anybody is after these btw...

Anyways, I don't need the four pairs, hell, I don't need the five pairs if you count the fact I already had a pair on the way, and have decided I don't actually like them that much now that I've received them. As a matter of fact, I dislike them so much I'm not ordering anything new from Oakley unless it's full metal, or a Frogskin (I've always loved them). They're just not really my thing, kinda cheap feeling, but still a nice looking pair I guess.

The ethics and questions come into play as far as would it be scalping if I listed these for trade for any of the cheap ass frogskins you can currently get on 6pm that are very close in price, such as the aquatique collection. I actually do need the drop-offs, or even the green, yellow, or whateverpairs, whereas I don't need the rootbeer blenders obviously.

If it sounds unethical, cheesy, shady, anything like that, let me know, and I'll go on about my business, hanging my head in shame. Again, I apologize if anybody was dying to have a pair of these.

Thoughts?

I don't think it would be unethical since you explained what you did.

IF you did not explain what happened and then turned around trying to sell them for a lot more then that is a different story.

I bet a lot of us have bought more than one of an item in the past. I suffer from OCD and do it quite often. I think scalping is an overused term here on this forum. You should list an item for sale or trade at whatever price you want. The market availability will determine the price. I checked Ebay and there are 65 current listing for this item. So it doesn't appear to in a great shortage.

You make excellent points Angel, and thanks, I forget that everybody here seems to have a tendency to buy things that they don't necessarily need. I definitely don't plan on making any sort of profit off these, just don't want to give away for free something I paid for at the same time.

I agree with Angel, and really, no one sells everything everytime for what they paid or less. If you make a good trade then props to you. If you make a couple dollars then props to you... if on the other hand, you were trying to scalp (and by scalp I mean really try to profit through other ignorance) then you would probably be treated as most of the other scalpers that pop up here and there... There is a lot of knowledge and a feeling of community here and most of the time your intent will show when you post a WTS or WTT listing. I guarentee most people will do what Angel did, check ebay or check the vault to compare prices. I think you're well within this forums ethical boundries.

to me what you guys think of as 'scalping' is buying a pair here on the forum, then turn around and resell them for profit.

If you find a good deal on something, and turn around and sell them at a profit, thats fine with me as long as you're not gouging people, and as long as you're not doing it to someone on the forum that was offering the forum members a good deal.

I dabble in cars and guns, and if I find a good deal on parts/etc, and can make a little money on it to reinvest into my hobbies, so be it.

and if you're really worried about it, use eBay. Its a free market, and people will pay how much they want to pay.

It's a different story if someone hooks u up on the forum as a collector and u turn around in 2 days and list them for sale. 2 months time ok but immediately is an insult to the member that gave u the good deal

I've been here a short time but have seen this discussion come up a few times. There is a member that bought a pair of IH Juliets, posted what he paid with pictures, then like 10 minutes later made a FS thread for like $300+ more than what he paid. To each their own & as stated, the market dictates what people will pay, but sometimes seeing that type of thing around here sucks. FleaBay is a different story.

I know exactly what you mean, people find good deals then brag, then sell for double what they bought it for. The problem is people need to stop looking at eBay as a preference, 9 out of 10 the high price ones will sit on eBay until they take down the post because it doesn't sell. As a community we should set a reasonable price for high end Oakley's that we stick too on the forum , and if someone doesn't want to sell at that price, they can go to eBay, or some where else. As far as reselling items, if it's the price new or a little over, that's fine, no matter how long you have owned it, pictures are way different then in person on some items, so you get it and don't like it, why keep it. Thanks for giving an explanation on why your reselling, sorry for the rant.

Didn't want to steal Greg's thunder out of his thread.. so here's my dilemma and a question.

I don't want to appear like I'm scalping (which already sounds bad as I type it) but it might be, and I apologize immensely if I upset anybody with this.

In a drunken "look what I can do" stupor of spending too much money, I dared the oakley vault when the rootbeer blender popped up as I was refreshing it and won't say I accidentally ordered four pairs. I definitely on purpose fueled by alcoholism and a hoarder mentaility ordered four pairs of blenders. I didn't actually think the order would go through. Totally apologize if anybody is after these btw...

Anyways, I don't need the four pairs, hell, I don't need the five pairs if you count the fact I already had a pair on the way, and have decided I don't actually like them that much now that I've received them. As a matter of fact, I dislike them so much I'm not ordering anything new from Oakley unless it's full metal, or a Frogskin (I've always loved them). They're just not really my thing, kinda cheap feeling, but still a nice looking pair I guess.

The ethics and questions come into play as far as would it be scalping if I listed these for trade for any of the cheap ass frogskins you can currently get on 6pm that are very close in price, such as the aquatique collection. I actually do need the drop-offs, or even the green, yellow, or whateverpairs, whereas I don't need the rootbeer blenders obviously.

If it sounds unethical, cheesy, shady, anything like that, let me know, and I'll go on about my business, hanging my head in shame. Again, I apologize if anybody was dying to have a pair of these.

Thoughts?

Shame on you blaming alcohol everyone knows that alcohol NEVER MAKES YOU DO SILLY THINGS IT JUST MAKES IT EASIER TO AGREE TO DO SILLY THINGS .
That's my excuse and i'm sticking to it

Back