• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Any Dangers In Getting A "Beater" Frame?

You can still buy XX lenses at Oakley
Oakley X METAL XX REPLACEMENT LENSES - Purchase Oakley eyewear from the online Oakley store

the tune up is 64.95 and they will replace all rubber, including the orbital gaskets but no the nose pads but you can use Juliet nose pads, as a matter of fact, they will put Juliet nosepads and tighten the nose bridge, you can send them to Oakley and the turn around time will be 2-3 weeks, or you can send them to an Oakley fan in southern california (anaheim, OC, irvine, mission viejo or even SD area) that goes there with a frame of his own and they will do a two for one in tune ups for walk ins and they will tune them up in 10 minutes and you can split the cost of the tune up with this guy, even more, last couple times I went my tune up were free and I fixed 5 frames, they will even install the lenses for you, this way you wouldn't even need to get a t6.
I think they're good investment frames, not only because they're cool, but because they hold the value well better than plastics. If that auction ends up in 120 that'll be cool, because they will cost 120+65 for lenses + 65 tune up equals 250 for a frame that you could get 350

So I can ship it to 'some guy' and save $30 on a $300 set of glasses? How tempting :blink:

It didn't even occur to me to check the Oakley website for lenses. Thanks for the info.

So basically, make sure the nosebridge isn't floppy and you should be ok.

From the auction I'm watching

"The center piece is super loose and I do not know what it takes to fix them."

I'm not dead set on getting this frame, or getting one this week or even this month. I can wait and troll for a deal or see if someone on the forum sells one in my price range. I just want to be set and prepare some knowledge so I can jump without hesitation later.

I meant it for the turn around lead time.

No, I get what you're saying, it just seems to me I wouldn't really want to send a guy a set of X Metals so he can bring them in for me to save a little time and money while running some major risk.

This is the one I'm looking at currently

The going rate for a pair of decent to good XX's have been at the $300-350 range. They retailed for $275 for Gen 1's and $325 for the Gen 2's. 24K fetched $50 more for each generation. I think the only two that came in a Gen 2 were the X Metal/Black and 24k. The TiO2 and the Plasma/Ice were only available as Gen 1's if i'm not mistaken. Prices for the XX has been slowly rising. Not sure if they'll reach Romeo 1 prices, but they seem to be slowly making their way there.

Totally understandable, and I meant me, as the guy that goes there all the time

Totally didn't get that! Yeah, I'll drop you a line for sure if I get a set that needs a trip to HQ!

I've been watching that same pair since they started at $15!

I've been watching a few pairs just to get a feel for prices, I was hoping to nab that one under $100 and be done. I'll probably only hit it to $112 to make it $120 shipped. I doubt that will take them though!

Thanks, but they end at ~1:15am my time, so I won't be able to sit and watch to bid at the last minute. I've got work starting at 5am so I'm going to sleep in about an hour!

Back