• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Any Dangers In Getting A "Beater" Frame?

I hear ya. I have been there before. The only thing you can do is put in your best BID before you hit the SACK and hope for the best.

They can do a flex coupler but they cannot do a full tune-up. I have a pair there right now, I sent them my "beaters" which they sent back due to aftermarket lenses. They do not tell you on the phone that they will not work on a pair with aftermarket accessories so I had to take the lenses out and send them back.

270961586757 ended and I would not have given $203 for with shot lenses, shot bridge and no box. Maybe with box, nice lenses and bad bridge.

Oakley Australia has (VERY LIMITED) stock of the X-metal nosebombs and can do the full tuneup. my XX was exactly as yours is, and its basically brand spanking new now (except it has juliet arms,, cos i borrowed the hammerstems for my JulieX ;P)

OH and YES, there are dangers. if the tab inside the nosebridge has been bent, then even if you rebuild the flex couplers, the nosebridge angle will be off. my beater romeo2s had this problem, thank goodness it was slight and they could bend it back, looks as good as new now. oh also, if the rivet holes are worn too large as well (excessive force, wear, movement or too many times re-punching the rivets), you''ll never get them tight again. my beater romeo2's are slightly loose (more give than box-fresh) even with a fresh flexcoupler job.

270961586757 ended and I would not have given $203 for with shot lenses, shot bridge and no box. Maybe with box, nice lenses and bad bridge.

Yeah, I saw the final sale price and my jaw dropped. I didn't think they'd be worth over 200.

I was on another auction for one in good shape, but it ended while I was in a meeting and my phone was buzzing letting me know bids were coming in and I couldn't pull out my phone to check on it until it ended for $40 over my first bid.

Thanks for the info BriP and everyone else!

$200 is about the right price on ebay. I bought a really beat up pair of XX X metal on ebay and I won it for $200ish. The condition was horrid. Everything was loose, sticky residues on frame, cracked lens. Looked as if someone dragged it against the ground and sat on it. Spent another $70 for tune up. In hindsight, should've just bought a mint pair on ebay, they go for bout $280-290 and at least the frame isn't scratched up like mine now.

I forgot the biggest danger in getting a beater pair... it won't end there.

Bubba is right, pick up a mint pair w/o box and other bits. It's just like cars, you can buy a beater and restore it with NOS parts and go through the time of restoration or you can save 50% and buy one that someone else has done only to discover that it won't bring what the value of all the parts and labor cost.

Back