• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Any Hunters Out There?

Coyotes can be one of the harder animals to hunt because they are smart, and have excellent eye sight. Camo is going to be the biggest player here. You have to break the human form. I highly recommend ASAT camo for this. Second, if you can find something to hide behind or in, do it.

As far as their behavior, they tend to go for smaller animals more than anything, so look for areas that are abundant with rabbits, squirrels, mice, chipmunks, etc. Fresh clear-cuts, open fields, and river bottoms are common places you will see coyotes. The best way to get them to you is by calling. Rabbit squealers are probably the best thing to use, and what I have seen most success with. You might also have success with a coyote howler, but squealers tend to work better. Also, if you have been calling for more than 30 minutes, and haven't seen anyone, pack your bags and move on. Reason being is, there are none in the area, or they caught on to you. Coyotes WILL come to calls, it's just their nature.

As far as a weapon is concerned, just about anything flat shooting will do the trick. AR platforms are probably the best for ease of use, and capacity. If you don't have an AR, a .243 or .270 is probably the best option. You want something that shoots very flat because coyotes will not get that close to you.

Yeah, check with local and state laws about automated squealers. We usually get more than we can we handle when we go out bunny bustin. After BB we, set up the squealers and the blood trail. Also, I would check with Division of Wildlife Resources or whatever it is there, for public lands, and the owner for private lands. When we go hunting its most always on private land, the cattle rancher gives us $25-30 per set of ears. In other words, work out a deal and get either the state or a rancher to buy new Oakleys for you. They are considered varmint/predator so a hunting license isn't necessary, just hunting safety. As far as gear:
since we bunny bust when the snow is falling hard or just after, I dress for that. I always wear full waterproof/gortex type material, some good comfortable hunting boots, or blind boots. I only wear a pair of jeans and a t shirt. For my Oakleys, I wear a pair of splits w/ anti fog, or pair of gascans with bronze lenses. Pair of lightweight or assualt gloves. We bunny bust with an arsenal. Usually between 4-11 people. Each with multiple guns. The most common: a shotgun, a pistol, Ak or assualt type, and a rifle. I like a sporterized sup'd up mosin nogant or a sythetic 30-06, Anything will do it, depending on the range and area. Oh yeah, and plenty of ammo. You won't want to stop especially when they start piling up.

Thanks. We're not allowed to use rifles in the Lower Pen of Michigan. The 'yotes are flearless, out here. They'll have their den and bone yard next to humans and sometimes walk right up the them. Their packs are huge. I'll try to find some callers and hide behind stuff. What kind of ammo would you recommend for a 20ga?

20 ga slugs. If you want to use shot for a coyote I'd go for a #4 through 000 in a 20 gauge. But you're going to get pricey and they might not have fun options like Flite Control wads since they 20ga stuff doesn't have as wide of a product range. So it'll be a crapshoot to find something that patterns well and carries energy in a 20 past 25 yards.

I'll reiterate slugs.

Would Sabots work well?

They're just set up different for the different barrels. Sabots have the plastic "shell" (for lack of a better or correct term) to grip the rifling, Foster/rifled slugs have a helical exterior most times to impart spin and are front heavy to maintain stability. They're essentially pre-rifled slugs. Some companies sell them as Foster slugs, some just call them rifled slugs. And I've seen "rifle" slugs, coin toss on that one.

Luckily The Box O' Truth has an article on sabots in a smoothbore. If you haven't seen this site before I highly recommend it. It's just an old guy shooter that goes out and says "what if" or "how does" and shoots it to find out.

This is the relevant article.
The Box O' Truth #46 - Shotgun Slugs, Sabots, and Smooth Bore Barrels - Page 1

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate all of the help. Hopefully I'll be able to get a woodland creature, this year.
They're just set up different for the different barrels. Sabots have the plastic "shell" (for lack of a better or correct term) to grip the rifling, Foster/rifled slugs have a helical exterior most times to impart spin and are front heavy to maintain stability. They're essentially pre-rifled slugs. Some companies sell them as Foster slugs, some just call them rifled slugs. And I've seen "rifle" slugs, coin toss on that one.

Luckily The Box O' Truth has an article on sabots in a smoothbore. If you haven't seen this site before I highly recommend it. It's just an old guy shooter that goes out and says "what if" or "how does" and shoots it to find out.

This is the relevant article.
The Box O' Truth #46 - Shotgun Slugs, Sabots, and Smooth Bore Barrels - Page 1

I really enjoy to shoot sporting clays I find in relaxing, or do some bird hunting when I get a day to walk in the woods. Even though here in Michigan its more like find a private club that charges you to hunt there farm birds. But it is still alot of fun.

Im and avid hunter, as I sit here typing I am waiting for batteries to charge so I can pack up and head out to the woods to start my bear scouting. I've hunted deer since I was a teenager but in the past 3 years I've gotten into bear hunting and that has pretty much taken up all my time. Anyone got any pictures of nice mounts?

Back