• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Any Info On The Current State Of X-metal?

My personal feeling is if they don't come out with some line of X-Metal glasses they are going to lose a large portion of their "Older Generation" sales. I am 38 and have been wearing Oakley since I was 15. Back in the day weaing Frog Skins and Blades or M-Frames was pretty cool but as an adult I don't see myself ever wearing plastic glasses again.

I've seen a pic of one coming out. If it is really an X-metal it resembles the Half X design. But looks more like a cross like the Factor Lites and others with the Carbon look so don't think it is a true X Metal

I'll believe it when I see it, but with that said... **Crosses Fingers** Here's hoping for a return of the Romeo 1 Styling along with the continued life of the Juliets! A redesigned softer metal frame may do wonders for the original Romeo's stress fractures.

I'll believe it when I see it, but with that said... **Crosses Fingers** Here's hoping for a return of the Romeo 1 Styling along with the continued life of the Juliets! A redesigned softer metal frame may do wonders for the original Romeo's stress fractures.

All that's needed to fix the cracking is a slight mod on the lenses. The frame is fine

the romeo1 was the best designed Xmetal in my eyes, and suffered an end only because of complaints from people who did not know how to treat their sunlasses (fair enough, since it was a new thing back then) and wound up oerstretching the frames and stressing the lenses. as Q said, there is a simple mod i came up with that solves most of the issue anyway. with no flex couplers to require tuneups at all, the romeo frame is perfect to me. I use one of mine as a daily wear pair.

that said, i DONT want to see a re-release of the vintage metals. see what happened to frogskins.. it just ruins the whole thing. leave the classics to be classics. oakley needs to get creative again and design a new frame, something innovative.

in any case, heres to hoping for a new xmetal... that is still MADE of Xmetal, not some aluminium dud! :)

I'm with you guys. Xmetal should remain Xmetal. I do remember visiting HQ and taking a long walk behind the auditorium that links the eyewear store and the clothing store. If anyone has taken that tour, it was like walking the Oakley museum. Not sure how much it has changed. I was strictly told no photos and now all those amazing displays showing the different eras of frames, glasses, materials have all faded in my mind. I just remember they were uber cool and really well laid out. It was back in 2004/2005 so the X Metals were at the forefront.

I remember speaking to someone about the X Metals and they confirmed that the plant was located in Nevada due to the regulations at the time and the process of making X Metals was not permitted in Cali. That may have changed...

The problem I have with simply doing a new line is that it isn't guarenteed to follow in the X-Metal Lineage. To me, and this is just my opinion, the X-metal line is and always will be Romeo 1's, Penny's and Juliets, End of story. I see the Half X, XX, Romeo 2's and X-Squared's as decent successors, but no where near the level of creativity and design standards as first set by those original 3. My fear is that a whole new line of X-metals may only further dillute the X-Metal Brand. I think re-introducing the world to the 3 primary designs, and then perhaps 1 all new design is still the way to go. There's simply no reason that Glasses as popular and stylish as the Juliet/Romeo/Penny should ever stop production. This becomes even more apparent when you consider just how much they are being sold for now, and the likely ridiculous profit margin they generate. These designs are very much works of art, and unlike the other mostly forgettable styles Oakley has put out deserve to continue on.

With all of that said, the only other style of Oakley's I've ever been fond of were the original Minutes. I'd love to see a Minute 3.0 introduced with new styling that's similar to the original, but made of the x-metal design and streamlined in areas to create a new blend of old & new.

Can't believe no more juliet's. I only have one pair but an extra set of lens. I wish I could find just a frame for them so I have at least two pairs.

Latest Posts

Back