• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Any Info On The Current State Of X-metal?

I think some people are failing to realize there's a distinction between "I hope they don't screw up, Oakley feels like they've really been cheapening up lately, and I don't like paying more for what might turn out to be inferior product" and "Oakley is going to produce inferior Chinese junk and will be increasing prices to boot."

One is a feeling that can be reasonable to assert in a discussion, the other is presented as fact.

There is a BIG difference between discussing what might be, hypothetical situations and making statements that sound fact-based when the user has little knowledge on the subject.

That being said, is it not safe to say that a company such as Lux would want to exploit the legend of X-Metal? However they would choose to do it being a separate matter.

Ok, so who is deadset in the idea that Luxottica was the sole purpose to the demise of the X Metal line?

Oh heavens, the Juliet was such a prolific seller surely Oakley couldn't possibly think of killing it?! You show me Oakley's profit sheets and expenditures and back up statements like that. Then show me the internal memos and meeting minutes relating to some iron fist at Lux squelching the X Metal line.

Prices for everything have gone up, including materials, labor, shipping, utilities, etc. Everything. Is there a chance Oakley decided it just wasn't worth it anymore? Besides the M Frame (which is now in generation ~6) what has lasted as long as the Juliet?

People bitch about lack of innovation then bitch when frames that are getting on 20 years old are discontinued.

I understand where everyone is coming from perfectly well, trust me. There are frames out there I'd love to be able to drive down to the store and buy today. I think we're lucky they decided to keep the Juliet around as long as they did.

As far as something being a "safe bet"? Hell no. Not with the language you're using. Lux wanting to exploit the X Metal line's "legend"? YGBFKM. You make it sound like there's some 1920's robber baron with a monocle and a crane in the crook of his elbow wearing a 3 piece suit rubbing his hands maniacally. Except he's Italian and better dressed.

1231405410sR7qnt.jpg

"Si, how can we-a exploit se *legend* of se X Metals"

^ That's a little much. In that case then hoorah for more Chinese made frames and releasing new lines of old frames with inferior materials for more money!

:comando:

It has been killed because the cost was not condusive with the profit margins that they get on other pairs, upper management at LUX has no Oakley heart/roots and they dont see the heritage in the ICONic items like the fans and collectors of the brand do. Pure profit in terms of low cost materials, cheaper manufacturing and cut down design time... I can understand if sales were falling off or flat, but they werent...
Net sales reached approximately Euro 1.9 billion... Thats +5.6% with double-digit growth in emerging markets (+17%) in less than 1 year...
Operating income rose to Euro 275 million... Thats +7.7% and operating margin rose to 14.7% in 1Q 2013 from 14.3% in 1Q 2012...
Net income increased to Euro 159 million... Thats +10.5% from net income of Euro 144 million reported in the first quarter of 2012...

So there are the facts, do with them what you will....

Well, this is a "discussion forum" and the discussion happens to be about x-metals...which happen to be Oakleys. I don't see a problem. No one's flaming or slinging insults. It's all good.

Lighten up, Bats. Tired of the people complaining about the subject? Hey, I understand. Easiest solution is to stay out of the X-metal discussions section. Cos I guarantee you this won't be the last thread here on this subject.

You're making it sound as though we should only discuss subject matter which meets your approval. I know that's not what you meant, but it sorta comes across that way.

I'm not intending to sound that way at all. I'm just tired of people acting like they were discontinued yesterday.

Rust, I agree with you.

Back