• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Any Pics Of Linegear Red Mirror Lenses In Ducati X-Squared?

I just got Linegear Red Mirror lenses for my XX frames today. I'm sorry to say that i'm not impressed.

I will say, as far as fit and quality, Linegear is hands down the best aftermarket lens you can get for Oakley. I venture to say that they are actually THICKER than stock Oakley lenses, and optical quality is exceptional. I was going to replace the Exovista Ruby Quartz lenses with these because the Exovistas are really lacking in the optical quality department - the lenses slightly diffuse light (really only under VERY bright conditions), making it seem as if they are always slightly dirty. However the Linegear lenses are every bit as clear and clean as stock Oakleys. Also the Exovistas don't fit perfectly, they actually leave visible gaps at the outer edges (temple sides) of the orbitals. The Linegear lenses fit tight and line up perfectly. That's all the positives I can give.

The real reason I got these lenses is because on Linegear's site, they appear to be the RED lenses everyone wants in their X-metal frames. Exovista's Ruby Quartz is beautiful, but it's too orange/yellow at parallel viewing angles and too purple at full 90 (straight on). It's basically halfway between Oakley's "new" Ruby and the "original" Ruby. So I figured these Linegears would be the closest I could get to the real deal Ruby lenses. I'm sorry to report that they are actually WORSE than the Exovista lenses. Viewing straight on, there is very little mirror effect, and what is there is a deep slate-purple. As you rotate the lense to a parallel angle, the color transitions to a pinkish-purple and the mirror becomes slightly more apparent. However, it is only at a 100% parallel viewing angle (basically as if you were looking at the sunglasses from a dead-on side view), that you actually get "red mirror". Even then, as I noted before, it's pinkish-purple and maybe 50% of the mirror that a stock Oakley lens presents. So, for 90% of the angles that you could possibly view the sunglasses from, you would see a barely-there, deep slate-purple color. Furthermore, since the lens is so thick, they had to "double-bevel" the edges, and as such, you can clearly see the cut edge of the lens from the inside of the frame when the lenses are mounted. That looks cheap. Finally, the base tint is very light, not strong enough for use on a bright day.

In conclusion, perhaps if these were around the price of Exovista, VL or Walleva, they would be worth it. But at (and sometimes exceeding) the price of Oakley stock lenses, I say steer clear.

I just got Linegear Red Mirror lenses for my XX frames today. I'm sorry to say that i'm not impressed.

I will say, as far as fit and quality, Linegear is hands down the best aftermarket lens you can get for Oakley. I venture to say that they are actually THICKER than stock Oakley lenses, and optical quality is exceptional. I was going to replace the Exovista Ruby Quartz lenses with these because the Exovistas are really lacking in the optical quality department - the lenses slightly diffuse light (really only under VERY bright conditions), making it seem as if they are always slightly dirty. However the Linegear lenses are every bit as clear and clean as stock Oakleys. Also the Exovistas don't fit perfectly, they actually leave visible gaps at the outer edges (temple sides) of the orbitals. The Linegear lenses fit tight and line up perfectly. That's all the positives I can give.

The real reason I got these lenses is because on Linegear's site, they appear to be the RED lenses everyone wants in their X-metal frames. Exovista's Ruby Quartz is beautiful, but it's too orange/yellow at parallel viewing angles and too purple at full 90 (straight on). It's basically halfway between Oakley's "new" Ruby and the "original" Ruby. So I figured these Linegears would be the closest I could get to the real deal Ruby lenses. I'm sorry to report that they are actually WORSE than the Exovista lenses. Viewing straight on, there is very little mirror effect, and what is there is a deep slate-purple. As you rotate the lense to a parallel angle, the color transitions to a pinkish-purple and the mirror becomes slightly more apparent. However, it is only at a 100% parallel viewing angle (basically as if you were looking at the sunglasses from a dead-on side view), that you actually get "red mirror". Even then, as I noted before, it's pinkish-purple and maybe 50% of the mirror that a stock Oakley lens presents. So, for 90% of the angles that you could possibly view the sunglasses from, you would see a barely-there, deep slate-purple color. Furthermore, since the lens is so thick, they had to "double-bevel" the edges, and as such, you can clearly see the cut edge of the lens from the inside of the frame when the lenses are mounted. That looks cheap. Finally, the base tint is very light, not strong enough for use on a bright day.

In conclusion, perhaps if these were around the price of Exovista, VL or Walleva, they would be worth it. But at (and sometimes exceeding) the price of Oakley stock lenses, I say steer clear.

Darn.... :sad:

Any pics?

Darn.... :sad:

Any pics?

Exovista is in the left orbital, and Lingear in the right (from the wearer's point of view).

IMG_3644.jpg

IMG_3649.jpg

IMG_3648.jpg

IMG_3650.jpg

IMG_3651.jpg