• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Any pilots here? What do you use for flying?

darthray

Oakley Beginner
I need prescription glasses and try not to wear contacts while flying (don't wear them very often, trying to reduce the number of things I have to think about) so that leaves me with prescription sunglasses, but there's still a lot to choose from: polarized or not? Would prizm lenses be a good idea? What kind/color of tinting?

What are your thoughts?

I've read before that Polarized lenses are not allowed for Pilots due to the issues associated with reading the instruments and LCD's?

I've found Black Iridium a nice catch all lens - assuming your flying over the clouds, and would have lots O sun to deal with...

I've read before that Polarized lenses are not allowed for Pilots due to the issues associated with reading the instruments and LCD's?

I had heard the same thing for the same reason, but after flying a G1000 C172, I didn't notice any problems. It seems the displays on that particular aircraft were polarized at a 45 degree angle so I would only notice any problems if I tilted my head a bit. Not sure about other displays though.

I've found Black Iridium a nice catch all lens - assuming your flying over the clouds, and would have lots O sun to deal with...

My flying is currently limited to below the clouds only (VFR). Thank you for the recommendation. Good for a future IFR flight. :)

You're still not allowed polarized in the cockpit. Right or left-seater. Backs can wear whatever they like. I use Killer Loop Rumble, they fit the best under my Clark headset, and old habits die hard. :cool-33:

My buddies friend gave him a pair of Flak 2.0 SI for flying. Matte Black with clear to black Photochromic. He loves them!

Latest Posts

Back