• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Any Sneakerheads In The House?

Reebok Answer IV "Stepover"
Sorry to my dude Tryonne Lue but I had to have a pair of Answer IV's at some point. I don't think I've even owned a Reebok in general until now. My brother has the other Black/White color way — the one more people recognize — along with a couple Questions.
20170715_155407.jpg

These "Stepover" retros were in special packaging limited to 500 units, then came up again in a Philly pop-up exclusive, and then now are available for anyone to buy online with regular AI packaging.

Upper leather materials can be sniffed all day. The shape and colorway, love it. Pretty much stops being awesome from there. I can actually understand Reebok ditching the original DMX cushioning system because from what I understand, each version of the system is specific to each shoe design. It's not like Nike with Zoom units that are in constant re-use in limited shapes. Result is some meh "DMX foam" which seems like some whatever-ass, stiff EVA. The insole is dead-flat and stiff without the original art. Serviceable situation.

I like how this particular colorway isolates the torsional piece. Clean white "wing" extending across, which will unfortunately get scuffed to death because it's so close to the ground.
20170715_155610.jpg

Real strike is the craftsmanship (on my pair at least). Highly evident glue stains and a couple obvious scuffs that should've never passed QC. This is while they upped the pricing from $125 to $150. Between being bought out, low balling MMA, and putting out meh stuff in their current line, sounds like Reebok wants to kill themselves.
20170715_154752.jpg

20170715_154804.jpg

I'm keeping these off the merits that:
1) maybe their QC really holds low standards as a whole. I've heard batches of Questions are pretty awful.
— so with that, I might end up with a pair equal or worse via exchange, and I want a pair anyway. I'm not a fan of shuffling through pairs unless it can be done in-store (and it can't in this case). I'd just get more mad.
2) Maybe the OG versions had low QC also. Maybe they felt like bricks for the most part regardless.
3) that scuff looks as if it came solely from production (end cut) vs. mishandled in packaging, and I guess I can touch it up if need be. This is a beater, although I would've liked to pay less for it. You already know I was dribbling in the driveway like right after I took pics.

Fit comments vary from person-to-person. I anticipated the possibility of having to exchange for half-size down, but I think they're actually true-to-size at size 9. Heel lockdown is impressive, and I can't imagine sacrificing any length or forefoot width. I'm guessing the full-size run of lasts isn't properly progressive/proportional at some point.

Being leather, there is expected break-in, but the midfoot is shaping well already. The shroud is kinda ...in the way, from tying to foot mobility when cutting. You can hear the velcro piece wanting to come undone from just running. It's not hard to see why Iverson and other players never zipped it up. The dead-flat insole can be replaced too, but overall the shoe fits impressively well considering there seems to be no form of heel counter. I assume the leather lining kinda helps hold some type of shape in the interior.
20170715_155552.jpg

Overall, another cool nostalgia piece that I couldn't have as a kid. I'm just not down with the combination of skimped cushion, so-so craftsmanship, and the up-charge.

20170715_155751.jpg

@Ventruck, I had no idea that Reebok was sold. Wow.

I was never really into Reebok in the past... Their shoes always ran big. I wore some of their classics back in KY high school days, though.

Now that you mention it, there has been a big Reebok push recently... I've never seen so many Reebok kicks available in such variety of colors ever. Yeah, makes sense that the new owners would make a push.

Sent from Q's S8+

@Ventruck, I had no idea that Reebok was sold. Wow.

I was never really into Reebok in the past... Their shoes always ran big. I wore some of their classics back in KY high school days, though.

Now that you mention it, there has been a big Reebok push recently... I've never seen so many Reebok kicks available in such variety of colors ever. Yeah, makes sense that the new owners would make a push.

Sent from Q's S8+

Bought out by Adidas, which is ironic because I find them to have very good QC outside of their outlet/B-grades. Actually it's been a while since that acquisition (2005?).Reebok was actually a major NBA apparel sponsor at the time (and surprise, Adidas then took that over).

Reebok has been getting sponsor deals for the NFL and some international sporting teams. It's just that in the mainstream they don't seem to hold a real place, and it looks like the attempts at collaborations with their classics is their push.

Bought out by Adidas, which is ironic because I find them to have very good QC outside of their outlet/B-grades. Actually it's been a while since that acquisition (2005?).Reebok was actually a major NBA apparel sponsor at the time (and surprise, Adidas then took that over).

Reebok has been getting sponsor deals for the NFL and some international sporting teams. It's just that in the mainstream they don't seem to hold a real place, and it looks like the attempts at collaborations with their classics is their push.

I've seen some JJ Watt kicks done for Reebok, for example.

Jusr strange seeing so many classic styles, but it is a move that Adidas would make.

I see some shareholders want Adidas to dump Reebok lol

Sent from Q's S8+

Latest Posts

Back