• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Any Tips For A Beginning Collector Of Oakley Sunglasses Like Me?

ChaseBristow26

Oakley Beginner
Would like some tips on where to find the sunglasses and just collecting tips. Also, why do you collect Oakley's sunglasses :D?

Chase the best tip is collect what YOU like not what others say you should have. I wear every piece of my collection. Well apart from my Antix Mambo's as they don't really suit me. Most of my glasses have been from either here, various Oakley dealers online, ebay or Oakley themselves. Just be careful with ebay as there are too many fakes about. If you are not sure ask the seller questions & if still not sure then ask on here. The guys here are great with giving advise so don't be shy.
As regard why I collect Oakleys, well that's a difficult one. I guess it's down to the choice of frames & lenses plus the quality of their optics.
Anyway good luck with your collecting & welcome to the boards.

I agree with the above post:)... I say only purchase what you would wear. You can be more wise with your money that way.

I collect because I caught a fever 1994 and the only prescription is more oakleys. ( corny I know lol)

If you have lots of cash...it should not be a problem :dance3:

Seriously, I collect oakley glasses just as a sort of memory for my generation. 10 or 20 years from now, your memories with having oakleys will be captured as part of your life.

This Forum, e-Bay or CL are usually the best deals where to find really good scores for Oakleys. As for collecting tips, just get the ones that you really want not what others should say you should have (qouting Oakley_Sight). It will get expensive along the way and your wallet is usually empty :-(

I started seriously collecting about 3 years ago but got into Oakleys when I saw this slogan that they released years ago. ..... Oakley Thermonuclear Protection

Would like some tips on where to find the sunglasses and just collecting tips. Also, why do you collect Oakley's sunglasses :D?

Find a frame style you like and start from there. Not all styles will suit you. Wear what you buy, unless you want a show piece. Some of us have pairs we wear every day and a back up of that pair too. Once you start collecting, the urge to have your next pair will kick in by itself. I have pairs, I took out of the box to inspect and then put them away, and never wore them out.

As for places to buy, do a search for Oakley vaults in your area. If you have one close by, try to get a PT job there, the discounts are incredible......If not make friends there, and visit often. Also Ebay, look for reputable sellers, or ask us about specific sellers. We have dealt with numerous of them for years. You can try CL, but do your transaction in a public place where there is alot of people. I dont really like CL, so I personally don't use it, its not worth the hastle for some people.

Why do I collect Oakley's???? Its much cheaper then cars.......

I second what everyone has said so far! But it's important to remember that your personal taste changes over time. My first pair of Oakley were the Ducati Valves from back in 2006 or '07. (I was heartbroken, when I misplaced and lost it)
Next pair were Whiskers and then Fuel Cells (Global) - now I'm more into Frogskins, Holbrooks and Dispatches; the more retro frames.
My point is? Don't be afraid to try on new frames - I never thought I'd wear frogskins daily when I first saw my buddy and coworker wear them - I didn't think they suited me. Now they are my favorite frame.

Why do I collect? I can't wrap my head around being a collector, to be honest, don't know why. I have about 40 pairs, but most aren't rare - I just consider myself someone who likes to have multiple pairs to choose from..? Somewhat like women who have many pairs of shoes - are they collectors?? Or someone who owns 100's of DVD's - are they collectors?

Furthermore, I've learned not to let myself be put down by people who think it's a ridiculous hobby. Don't let others influence you too much :)

(this was a rant, sorry)

i like to collect them, but i also like to wear every pair i own. buy what makes you happy and spend the money you feel comfortable spending.

tips on where to buy:
always checking the exchange thread here
oakleyvault.com
6pm.com
amazon <--- have some very awesome deals once in a while

Back