• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Anybody A Fan Of Flak Jacket & Flak Jacket XLJ?

Wally Taylor

I should Work at Oakley
Erie
I've been around for only a few days, but the only thing I've heard about Flak Jacket and XLJ is that they're being discontinued. I won a pair with free bids on the *ee*id auction site, and I won them with free bids, so they only cost me shipping. I really like them a lot, and I just wondered if they were unpopular or what. With the cool case and changeable lenses, they seem like great glasses to me. I just wondered if anyone knows why Oakley Is dumping them.
Will Oakley carry lenses for a while, or should I stock up now. I have the Black Iridium, and I bought a pair of Emerald Iridium. I wouldn't mind getting some yellow shooting lenses. Should I buy immediately, or do I .have a little time?

Iconic pair.....love the original Flak.....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1469142832.031960.jpg

The original Flak's are being discontinued and replaced with the Flak 2.0's.(the money machine churning out new styles) I have several pairs of Flak's including my daily wears, which have been worn for 4 years almost daily with no issues. I'm sure I'll eventually move to the 2.0 but for now I'm wearing them until they break.

They look great! Are the lenses custom cut? I've been looking for another pair of Oakley Emerald Iridium, but as far as I know, I have to find someone with the white Flak Jacket XLJ selling their Emeralds like I did last time. I just want a spare pair of Emeralds in case I get a scratch.
I really like the Flak Jacket XLJ's a lot. Very comfortable, and light. The Emeralds cost me $50 shipped, but it was well worth it. My XLlJ's are the best $14 I ever spent. The auction sites can provide great deals, but they really sock It to ya' on their shipping charges. Still, no complaint since they were free bids.
I wonder how long they will Holden up flexing the frames to change lenses? Zi'm a little nervous after watching my MOON frames self destruct.

Last edited:
They look great! Are the lenses custom cut? I've been looking for another pair of Oakley Emerald Iridium, but as far as I know, I have to find someone with the white Flak Jacket XLJ selling their Emeralds like I did last time. I just want a spare pair of Emeralds in case I get a scratch.
I really like the Flak Jacket XLJ's a lot. Very comfortable, and light. The Emeralds cost me $50 shipped, but it was well worth it. My XLlJ's are the best $14 I ever spent. The auction sites can provide great deals, but they really sock It to ya' on their shipping charges. Still, no complaint since they were free bids.
Hi Wally - I'm a newbie too. I bought some Flak Jackets last year, they were really cheap (c.£50) and perhaps being discontinued is the reason why. They don't really fit me, but I've tried on some Flak 2.0 XLs and these look great and fit well. Now comes the decision on which ones to get - something with a flash of red!

I like the original Flak's too. I like the lens swapping options, and the curved surfaces of the frame. I prefer the Flak 1.0 vs. the Flak 2.0 because they look less like sports goggles. To me Flak 2.0 look more like modern racquetball goggles, while the Flak 1.0 look more multi-use, running, biking, baseball, or just walking around the park on an active day.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Hard to catch the Emerald in my nighttime kitchen lighting, but I think they should have made a Black with Emerald option. I'm pretty sure that You couldn't get them with anything except White frames. I love the look of the Emerald Iridium (obviously I guess!)
UPDATE-I just found the paperwork for my lenses, and they are JADE IRIDIUM, and not Emerald Iridium. Whatever they are, they are EXACTLY the look that I wanted.

Last edited:
I like the original Flak's too. I like the lens swapping options, and the curved surfaces of the frame. I prefer the Flak 1.0 vs. the Flak 2.0 because they look less like sports goggles. To me Flak 2.0 look more like modern racquetball goggles, while the Flak 1.0 look more multi-use, running, biking, baseball, or just walking around the park on an active day.

Well said

I love my flak jackets. I've started my collection after the purchase of my flaks. They are 1 of my daily wears and I have only changed the rubber and lens. I loved them so much that I bought a pair of 2.0 and love them as well.