• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Anybody Use Threadlock?

chimera

Oakley Beginner
Vermont
Having a problem on my Juliet's that one of the orb screws will work loose after a few days wear. I don't want to overtighten it as it'll crush the gasket and i don't want to strip the threads. Anyone else have this issue, and have you used threadlock (something like medium strength) to stop it from loosening? Or is there a better method?

with such a small torx screw I wouldn't even use blue (medium) loctite. I would use the purple (loctite 222) which is a low strength for smaller screws.

I know the nose bridge screws on my XS have dabs of blue threadlock on em... The orbital screws do not from what I remember (been a while since I had em apart).

Why would grease help it hold?? I've tried new screws and it doesn't help, which is why I'm worried about the threads.

grease won't help hold the screw in and using grease on a fastener will actually mean you have to apply more torque to get the same clamping force as a dry bolt.

granted, a thread locker will also apply some lube to the fastener, but it will also hold the bolt in place. I wouldn't have any problem using it.

Why would grease help it hold?? I've tried new screws and it doesn't help, which is why I'm worried about the threads.
Grease will keep the screw from falling out. Don't be a fraid to tighten the thing! If it loosens up, you are way undertightening it, and if not, the screw is stripped anyway! Who cares if the gasket is squished? You won't strip anything just getting it tight, but you don't have to crank the dogs**t out of it either!

grease won't help hold the screw in and using grease on a fastener will actually mean you have to apply more torque to get the same clamping force as a dry bolt.

granted, a thread locker will also apply some lube to the fastener, but it will also hold the bolt in place. I wouldn't have any problem using it.
No, grease works. I'm not talking about lubing the entire screw, I'm talking a small dab. It works.

I DO NOT use threadlocker on screws that need to come back out.

Back