• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Anyone actually wear their OTT Over the Top's?

The OTT is more an X-Metal IMO than anything from aesthetic, Mad Science perspective. I've generally found metal guys are more likely than others to own OTT's because it takes a similar mindset to wear an OTT as it does to wear metals. But thats just the way my weird brain works :0p

Thats cool
Im an opposite side brain
I dont feel they are X metals
But I also dont feel Madmen and Badmen are X metals either.

Lets just agree to disagree
But Oh read my sig please, it can be enlightening

Is that straight from Oakley marketing? Either way "compound" may not be correct if the pure metal was used for any of the five. Titanium isn't a compound, for instance.

Hmmm
No I stole it from O review
But maybe it should be stated as Compounded

com·pound 1
(kŏm-pound′, kəm-, kŏm′pound′)
v. com·pound·ed, com·pound·ing, com·pounds
v.tr.
1. To combine so as to form a whole; mix: Tin was often compounded with lead to make pewter.
2. To produce or create by combining two or more ingredients or parts; compose or make up: pharmacists compounding prescriptions.
3. To settle (a debt, for example) by agreeing on an amount less than the claim; adjust.
4. To compute (interest) on the principal and accrued interest.
a.
To add to or intensify so as to make worse: "The university authorities ... compounded their crime in dismissing [the professor] by denying that their action ... reflected any abridgment of academic freedom" (John Kenneth Galbraith).
b. To make worse by being an additional or intensifying factor: High winds compounded the difficulties of the firefighters.
v.intr.
1. To combine in or form a compound.
2. To come to terms; agree.
adj. (kŏm′pound′, kŏm-pound′, kəm-)
1. Consisting of two or more substances, ingredients, elements, or parts.
2. Botany Composed of more than one part: a compound pistil.
n. (kŏm′pound′)
1. A combination of two or more elements or parts.
2. Linguistics A word that consists either of two or more elements that are independent words, such as loudspeaker, self-portrait, or high school, or of specially modified combining forms of words, such as Greek philosophia, from philo-, "loving," and sophia, "wisdom."
3. Chemistry A pure, macroscopically homogeneous substance consisting of atoms or ions of two or more different elements in definite proportions that cannot be separated by physical means. A compound usually has properties unlike those of its constituent elements.

Or maybe I should just change it to

X-Metal (Live it Learn it)
Five metals combined together at 3000 degrees to form a 3-D hypoallergenic sculpted alloy frame. Mainly Titanium.

Yeah, I like the "5 metals combined" version personally.

Although that does slightly put me in mind of something like:

Titanium!
Tungsten!
Aluminium!
Something!
Something else!

By our powers combined, we are x-metal!

:D

Oakley marketing actually uses the word "compounds" in its description such as in the XX X-Metal.....
Explosive compounds are vaporized at 3600°F to produce the latest addition to the ranks of X METAL®.

Oakley marketing actually uses the word "compounds" in its description such as in the XX X-Metal.....
Explosive compounds are vaporized at 3600°F to produce the latest addition to the ranks of X METAL®.
That's definitely marketing guff. Titanium boils at 6000F, it's dioxide at 5300F and aluminium at 4500F. None of the major ingredients are being "vaporised" at 3600F.

Latest Posts

Back