• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Anyone Do Any Off-road Here?

s3sunruh

Oakley Expert
Casper WY
I'm incredibly new to it as I've only had my Silverado for 3 months so far, but when it warms up I'm hoping to really get out and do a lot more light off road. Any tips?

Feel free to share pictures and stories here though :cool:

I haven't done any off roading since I had my jeep years ago but winches are your best friends. That hole is always deeper than it looks, the ruts are always more muddy than they seem, and your buddy's "bad ass truck" will turn out to be 2 wheel drive with bald tires.

If you don't want to be calling people to pull you out from the woods at midnight with no reception, buy yourself a winch and save the headache when it counts.

Oh, and don't ever be the get out and push guy ;-)

I've ridden and raced Motocross for years now, and we have a rule in the sport that might help you out someday, and that rule is; never be the first guy to try it!

If you don't want to be calling people to pull you out from the woods at midnight with no reception, buy yourself a winch and save the headache when it counts.

Oh, and don't ever be the get out and push guy ;-)

I always hated getting those calls....
I had a buddy that got his moms Lexus RX300 stuck in a silt pit. He called me at like 2am and asked me to pull him out....
When I got there he had it burried to the chassis and I had to pull him out with a chain.

I had two capable SUVs but sold them when gas started going through the roof....

I don't seem to have any pics off-road...

03 Nissan Xterra- 3" body lift, BF Goodrich Mud Terrains, Nismo exhaust and elevated airbox, frame/diff protectors...

DSCN1970.jpg

Sandbag the bed of your Silverado like you would in the winter. Pickup trucks really lack that much needed rear axle weight.

Sandbag the bed of your Silverado like you would in the winter. Pickup trucks really lack that much needed rear axle weight.

I have figured that out already. :wink: Richard Hammond even clarified the fact on Top Gear when he tests the Maloo Pickup
[video=youtube;wC6LAGFm4d8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC6LAGFm4d8[/video]

Gives the girlfriend a good shock every now and then though when you feel it slip. It's even easy to break the tires loose even in the dry here. Not crazy about the tires the dealership I bought it from put on it. And if we actually get a good snow, I plan on about 6-8 40lb bags of softener salt.

Any good A/T tire options that don't trash fuel economy?

I have figured that out already. :wink: Richard Hammond even clarified the fact on Top Gear when he tests the Maloo Pickup
[video=youtube;wC6LAGFm4d8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC6LAGFm4d8[/video]

Gives the girlfriend a good shock every now and then though when you feel it slip. It's even easy to break the tires loose even in the dry here. Not crazy about the tires the dealership I bought it from put on it. And if we actually get a good snow, I plan on about 6-8 40lb bags of softener salt.

Any good A/T tire options that don't trash fuel economy?

Something else to consider is that most true A/T tires are LOUD going down the road. Maybe not a big deal to you but in a jeep with the top off it gets annoying quick.

I've got a stereo to solve that :wink: Ideally, I want to have a full set of A/T tires on off road rims I can swap out in an afternoon and head out the next morning. But I'm a college student, so I need a good year round sorta thing.

Back