• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Anyone have experience of Oakley damaging their X-metal?

Thank you, to all who have given me such great information. I am looking forward to becoming involved and enjoying conversation with like minded people.
I am new to formally collecting Oakley and being involved with a forum like this.
-MJLSr-....."said maybe even learn to do simple things yourself" I was intrigued by this and thought to inquire.
My inquiry was meet with interest by some and condescension by some experts. Being an Oakley Beginner and unfamiliar with Forums like this, I will undoubtedly ask stupid questions and inquire about things that have previously been discussed. Being gracious and having a desire to help others is what makes a Forum like this great.
-Kronin323-....need custom tools, learning curve.........Xman
-BHarry-......more involved, skills, screw up your Xmetals.......Xman
-CarGuy.......Austin meet search.....search meet Austin......Play nice kids

I think everyone has given useful advice, experience and insights in this thread so far. Don't be overly sensitive.

So going back to my original post, I heard back from Oakley Japan after their repair person looked at what I claimed to be Oakley damage (tiny, tiny hole in frame). I received a detailed, polite, but firm email that basically said:

- xmetal compound is in 'special' metal and if you cut into it (cross-section), you often see tiny bubbles and imperfections
- these 'bubbles' are usually only ever inside, not at the surface where the coating is applied (my frame was carbon)
- in my case, it looks like there was one at the surface
- repair person suspects it was there at manufacture/purchase but so small it went unnoticed
[it's true a casual user rather than collector probably wouldn't be as anal as me about this!]
- he/she doesn't therefore categorize this as 'damage'
- Oakley JP didn't cause this and bears no responsibility.... blah blah.

What do you think? Sound scientifically accurate?

Despite all the above, there was an annoying last bit of their email where they observed that when I first submitted the glasses for a tune-up it had a lens fitted (true) but when I submitted for later inspection the lens was removed (true, I got nervous about potential damage!) They suggested if this was in fact damage, then I may have done it removing the lens. But I thought you just said it wasn't damage?!

First and foremost, I am saying Thank You!!!
Second I had no idea all this information existed or such resources were available.

I have not searched for anything. I am not even sure what questions to ask. I had just read a thread on the forum that spoke of the Flex Coupler as an issue with X metal....Kronin323 had great advice, Xman.....Do it yourself, MJLSr said "learn to do simple things yourself"
Having several pair that are in need of a tune up, I was intrigued and wanted to know more.

Some times it is not what we say but how we say it.

Second I had no idea all this information existed or such resources were available.

I have not searched for anything. I am not even sure what questions to ask. I had just read a thread on the forum that spoke of the Flex Coupler as an issue with X metal....Kronin323 had great advice, Xman.....Do it yourself, MJLSr said "learn to do simple things yourself"
Having several pair that are in need of a tune up, I was intrigued and wanted to know more.

I apologizing. Getting off point.

I think everyone has given useful advice, experience and insights in this thread so far. Don't be overly sensitive.

So going back to my original post, I heard back from Oakley Japan after their repair person looked at what I claimed to be Oakley damage (tiny, tiny hole in frame). I received a detailed, polite, but firm email that basically said:

- xmetal compound is in 'special' metal and if you cut into it (cross-section), you often see tiny bubbles and imperfections
- these 'bubbles' are usually only ever inside, not at the surface where the coating is applied (my frame was carbon)
- repair person suspects it was there at manufacture/purchase but so small it went unnoticed
[it's true a casual user rather than collector probably wouldn't be as anal as me about this!]

Despite all the above, there was an annoying last bit of their email where they observed that when I first submitted the glasses for a tune-up it had a lens fitted (true) but when I submitted for later inspection the lens was removed (true, I got nervous about potential damage!) They suggested if this was in fact damage, then I may have done it removing the lens. But I thought you just said it wasn't damage?!
Haha, talk about covering their bases... Sorry you had issues with Oakley JP. Scuffs can be part of the charm and give the glasses character. No excuse for them mistreating your glasses obviously. If the damage really is that minor then it could have been much worse! I'm glad you have them back and can enjoy them again!

All good.

It's true, there are some bubbles in x-metals, especially the early gen ones. It has been remarked upon a number of times when people have polished theirs with a dremel - Whatever they coat them with as a finish would fill any surface pits from the bubbles and they would be exposed when the original finish was polished off.

Is that what happened with yours? Maybe. If you truly know for certain that hole wasn't there previously, perhaps it was a thin spot that broke through when they did the tuneup.

Either way, it looks like you've gotten the answer from them that you're going to get.

Back