• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Anyone Here Actually Like The "Warm Grey" Lens Tint?

Do you like Warm Grey, or is it pointless?

• Total voters
Warm grey is one of my favorite tints. My question to the people that dont like Warm Grey, do you like OO Black Iridium Polarized?

Seems I've been wrong. I also had no idea they were both 10% transmission. It's hard to believe though when you look through one then the other that they are both the same light transmission.

thatoakleyguy said:
Seems I've been wrong. I also had no idea they were both 10% transmission. It's hard to believe though when you look through one then the other that they are both the same light transmission.

If my understanding of things are correct, the reason a contrasting lens looks to be lighter than a neutral lens has to do with the mixture of the color of the lens with the color of the light you are seeing. Everything you see falls within a certain range of light, and looking through a neutral lens like Black Iridium, blocking 90% of light, the spectrum of light you are seeing is made 90% darker. With a contrasting lens, the complimentary color of the lens color will not be as effected as the rest, and will almost be highlighted. For example, you want rose tinted lenses for golf because the complementary color of green (look at a color wheel) is red. The rose tones will amplify the color green allowing you to see more variations of the color, making reading the greens easier and the undulations of the fairways more pronounced. Since there are now more greens, light to dark, things don't seem as evenly dark as with a neutral base. This would be the same reason why black iridium polarized feels darker than gold iridium polarized, even though they both have transmissions of 9%. Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Warm Grey has a 12% rate of transmission.
Dark Grey and Black Iridium both have a 10% rate.
Grey has a 18% rate.

These numbers are from the Oakley Lens Transmission Guide.

I believe some of us have forgotten that there are 3 Greys. I prefer Black Iridium over all greys. Although I could see the use of warm grey in overcast conditions.

id rather not have anything reflecting a grey. i like the iridiums because like on the fire iridium, the color of the lens is reflected in your vision. a change up from the regular ole' world, if ya feel me :)

The standard Grey lens sucks, not dark enough and no Iridium or contrast base.

Warm Grey on the other hand is fantastic. The 12% makes it more versatile than Black Iridium and the slight rose thing creates a great contrast which makes everything look rich looking. Like others have also mentioned, Warm Grey looks great in a lot of frames and is basic looking without being too flashy. Warm Grey should replace Grey.

Dark Grey is also great, wish they put these in more frames.

I got many doubts about Warm Grey for all the comments here but finally I bought Antix w/ Warm Grey and now I'm about to buy Holbrook with it.

Maybe it's not good for very sunny days but I do like how they look.

Just shy of 3 year old thread to post a pretty meaningless comment? Really?
He's relating his experience and opinion on Warm Grey. People get criticized for starting new threads of previously discussed topics, why criticize someone for taking time to research if it's been discussed already and post there instead?

With that said, I'm just fine with Warm Grey as lens choice. For same price I'd take BI, but I wouldn't swap out Warm Grey just because like some people do.

Latest Posts

Back