• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Anyone still doing orbital stripped screw removal?

I do it as part of my service, it's included actually, no extra charge. I've done it so many times (and have the proper tools and technique) that I don't even ask before doing it anymore. When I encounter a stripped screw, I just do it, get it out, and get on with the repair.

They made a pretty good mess of the screw head so my work would be cut out for me but I think I could finish this one off if you want to PM me for details.
Hello. I just bought these. Would you be able to tell me if the orbital screw snapped off inside?

BB9453ED-8F47-4110-B069-2D339F87C47C.jpeg

E8D742C3-B263-47F1-B21E-7060EE96B98C.jpeg

Hard to tell from that angle. PM me a shot from the side, looking in to the orbital joint gap.
Do these photos help at all? I asked the seller again and he swears the screw is just missing not stuck or anything. But someone on the forum said it looks like a screw is in there and to get my monies back.

522ED51E-2F8B-4E1E-98C5-F15D0D8591EB.jpeg

BAC327A1-AD51-4E5A-B1AB-6EA856B96583.jpeg

07906F0A-3737-4CCE-96FD-413B9737006D.jpeg

I don't see a screw in there, appears to be thread showing in picture 2 so it looks fine. You just need an orbital screw.
So I bought this and it comes with screws. Will this be sufficient to fix the issue. Or do I have to be those exact orbital screws

118167C1-3221-4C68-946C-D62B02F8B43F.png

Those are Chinese made part that are very cheaply made, the orbital screw isn't the right kind of head.... but it will work o_O
omg you’re right... those are not even the right screws! So I returned the ones from Amazon and I just placed an order on the website you shared with me. Thank you very much for your help. I really do appreciate it

a while back had a member buy a XX complete off me change the lenses 10 times and then when the T6 orbital screw finally stripped out 3 months and 10 sets of lenses later. He threw a temper tantrum filed a claim on me via PayPal and won and tried to give me negative feedback because I wouldn’t give him an automatic refund. Anyways I believe soulfrog used to do orbital screw extractions but I don’t think he’s doing any work as of late, Does anyone know of anyone else on the fourm that is know for doing orbital screw extractions? This individual proceeded to try to drill the screw out so it’s pretty jacked.

View attachment 843684
He needs to sell his 'man card' even thought it aint worth a s***

FYI, if you’re wanting to remove a stripped screw and don’t have the proper tools to get it out, a bath in ferric chloride will do the trick (a hour or so? I can’t remember). It won’t harm bare titanium. It will remove the “bone” finish cleanly, too, exposing the sandblasted Ti underneath. I’ve removed a screw once with this method and the bone finish several times (much easier than sandblasting it off).

Back