• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Anyone Successfully Bend The Arms On Their X Metal?

Rustpot

M Frame Lover
Clarkston/Romeo MI
I have a Romeo. It fits me. I like it.

I feel, however, I could like it more if the stems were just a touch better contoured to my freakish, misshapen gourd.

Right now the tips of the stems make contact first, so I'm using 15 shocks and they're comfortable. Anything bigger and the tips dig in.

Has anyone done anything like bending an arm from an X Metal? My fear is the material lacks the ductility needed and will simply shear (snap off).

I have access to hot things. Brazing torches that reach ~1,500 F, that's about as hot as I'd feel comfortable getting but I could go hotter.

Don't do it. If you break it it's about impossible to get a new one
The risk? A few hundred dollars.

The payoff? A Romeo that fits alllll that much better.

You wont break it. Its titanium. Ask the X Man.
I'm not sure what exactly this means. Titanium isn't indestructible. It's more corrosion resistant than steel, with a higher strength-to-weight ratio, but it'll certainly snap if torqued too much. X Metal is tough stuff, which means it's Young's Modulus is pretty high and failure is pretty even with yield on a normal stress-strain plot.

Titanium isn't very ductile.

It can be done. However, I'm not sure if this applies to titanium but I have bent Rx frames and in order to get it just right you bend it back and forth and before you know it, it's worse and you can no longer return to its original stance. Im sure this is less of a factor with titanium.

just no sharp bends.if your gonna do it make sure you make a large radius instead of a tight bend.Ti has a incredible tolerance before it will snap.just go slow and message them into shape

Back