• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Anyone Wear Unknowns?

For some reason I thought the Splice and Unknown could share the same lens?

I heard that too. I used to see a lot of customs on ebay before there were a lot of outside custom lenses on the market. I asked a guy once about it and he told me he used a splice lens. I have never tried it so I can't confirm first hand though.

Splice lenses are exact. Asian fit works better, but both will be swappable. Here's a G30 Black Iridium from the Overcast Unknown:

And then the two Japanese Exclusive Unknown lenses (Gold Clear and Ruby Clear)

Unknowns were originally slated to replace the Minute, but sales didn't outperform, so it was dropped. Oakley periodically runs a replacement alongside the original in case the original still proves to be a seller.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see that you are right sir. Still, even though the lenses are interchangeable, the frames are pretty different, giving a noticibly diffferent appearence. As I said, I like both, but they are different.

Splice lenses are exact. Asian fit works better, but both will be swappable. Here's a G30 Black Iridium from the Overcast Unknown:

You just blew my mind. I had no idea Splice and Unknown lenses were interchangeable.

Regarding Unknown...they are one of my all-time favorite pairs. I just recently tracked down the Overcast colorway, which was one of my personal mini-grails.

Yeah lenses are the same, but the frame is more along the lines of less bold Monster Dog without the chunkiness of the Pup or Fatcat

That's crazy. I had no idea the lenses were the same and you'd never think that was the case. Will have to try it when I get home as I have a couple nib unknown lenses. This just made my day!

I have 3 pairs of Unknown.

polished black - ruby clear Japan exclusive
polished rootbeer - gold clear Japan exclusive (one of my favourite O matter pieces..simply awesome!)
polished black - black Phil Hellmuth (only handful exist)

not had any problems with arms coming off, or any other manufacture issue. Very nice original specific boxes (like Plate/Dartboard/Zero/Hatchet)

Back