• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Apple Event

May as well throw this up while I'm at it.
uploadfromtaptalk1410318330272.jpg

I've had iPhones 4 & 5, and two Android MP3 players. The older MP3 (Sony NW-Z1070) was pretty crashy and had to be reset fairly often, the newer (NWZ-ZX1) is no less stable than a iPhone. Eye-wateringly expensive yes, but stable!

My only real gripe with the iPhone is with Safari is not being able to force desktop sites, it always defaults to mobile and you have to hope the site offers a reliable switch to desktop mode. Yes, I know I can buy Atomic or others with that functionality but I still reckon it should be in base Safari.

And as my upgrade is due, I will be getting a 6.

I do not own a cell phone but am genuinely interested if someone could explain all the hype and buzz as briefly as possible cuz...I just don't get it...kind of like Mall Kiosk 20 dollar shades....maybe 51 means I am too damn old but what the heck do people do other than make calls that is so in need of constant media events... my wife has one a 4s I see she texts which I hate ...thumbs to big maybe but other than that...I don't know abt all this.. where have I been? I guess actually seeing friends and family in person.... and iTunes sound awful compared to cd's I don't care what the trend is

Last edited:
I do not own a cell phone but am genuinely interested if someone could explain all the hype and buzz as briefly as possible cuz...I just don't get it...kind of like Mall Kiosk 20 dollar shades....maybe 51 means I am too damn old but what the heck do people do other than make calls that is so in need of constant media events... my wife has one a 4s I see she texts which I hate ...thumbs to big maybe but other than that...I don't know abt all this.. where have I been? I guess actually seeing friends and family in person.... and iTunes sound awful compared to cd's I don't care what the trend is
Mine is an extension of my computer. I can work remotely to a small degree, answering emails or reading documents to get people answers when I'm not in the office. I use my phone more for that type of stuff than anything else.

If work wasn't footing the bill I might not have a smart phone. It's not sooooo fantastic unless it solves a problem or adds functionality you didn't have. The only problem is sometimes you don't know how much you'd like it until you try it.

But damn it's a lot of money.

But it can do a lot of things. Get you travel directions when you're on the road. Get flight info on your way to the airport to pickup your ungrateful sister. Kill time on facebook or tapatalk when you're in between back to back meetings. Deposit checks to save a trip to the bank. Take photos and email them directly to someone. Or upload them. Listen to music or talk radio on road trips that I'd otherwise need physical media, or another device, or satellite to listen to.

I have an app that can translate written text in real time. So if I go to Mexico for business I can use my phone to translate a menu or a road sign just by looking at it.

The voicemail functions, meeting functions, etc are worth it for me at work.

Mine is an extension of my computer. I can work remotely to a small degree, answering emails or reading documents to get people answers when I'm not in the office. I use my phone more for that type of stuff than anything else.

If work wasn't footing the bill I might not have a smart phone. It's not sooooo fantastic unless it solves a problem or adds functionality you didn't have. The only problem is sometimes you don't know how much you'd like it until you try it.

But damn it's a lot of money.

But it can do a lot of things. Get you travel directions when you're on the road. Get flight info on your way to the airport to pickup your ungrateful sister. Kill time on facebook or tapatalk when you're in between back to back meetings. Deposit checks to save a trip to the bank. Take photos and email them directly to someone. Or upload them. Listen to music or talk radio on road trips that I'd otherwise need physical media, or another device, or satellite to listen to.

I have an app that can translate written text in real time. So if I go to Mexico for business I can use my phone to translate a menu or a road sign just by looking at it.

The voicemail functions, meeting functions, etc are worth it for me at work.

Plus i can use it to look at funny videos of cats and argue with complete strangers ;->

I am curious about something. Maybe the Mac users can chime in on this one.

I use a windows laptop to backup/restore my iPhone and IF I ever need to restore to a new phone it takes a little while.

I've heard that with a Mac, backups/restores are ridiculous fast. Truth? or apple geeks just blowing smoke?
@Rustpot do you know the answer to this?

I am curious about something. Maybe the Mac users can chime in on this one.

I use a windows laptop to backup/restore my iPhone and IF I ever need to restore to a new phone it takes a little while.

I've heard that with a Mac, backups/restores are ridiculous fast. Truth? or apple geeks just blowing smoke?

I've used both and the Mac may be a bit faster, but ultimately depends on the speed of your system (Wifi included), regardless of which you use.
It can be a 2 step process. 1st the operating system may need to be downloaded unless you have it locally already. This depends on your Internet connection as to how fast it will download. Next, depending on the size of that file will determine how fast or slow your machine will handle it.
Macs tend to go much longer without "slowing down" due to lack of malware, adware infection. Because of this someone with an older Mac may restore an iPhone faster because the machine is running more efficiently.

However, if you have an up to date Windows machine that running good it should do the job just as fast. Just my opinion.

I've used both and the Mac may be a bit faster, but ultimately depends on the speed of your system (Wifi included), regardless of which you use.
It can be a 2 step process. 1st the operating system may need to be downloaded unless you have it locally already. This depends on your Internet connection as to how fast it will download. Next, depending on the size of that file will determine how fast or slow your machine will handle it.
Macs tend to go much longer without "slowing down" due to lack of malware, adware infection. Because of this someone with an older Mac may restore an iPhone faster because the machine is running more efficiently.

However, if you have an up to date Windows machine that running good it should do the job just as fast. Just my opinion.
Interesting.....thanks

Back