• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Are frogskins really not as important as they used to be?

See my friend frogskins are important and they can become very addictive, but alas it'd be impossible to have them all.
true I am getting into that really. As quoted I did not really say that its not important its just that only a few gets into collecting them by heart compared to xmetals as per say. Especially nowadays when lux came the only exclusive frogs ever released so far were the concept studios even those collettes did really struck any attention only to a few.

looks like I am too late going into the frogs game. All I can do now is hope that lux produces another exclusive release of frogs then I can get into that game. All I can do for now is buy those reg release froggies for 90 bucks:(.

Just an example I have a pair of the primitive which is probably my rarest pair and I paid about 800 Canadian so about 630US. My supremes were about 450 US each as well and my gentei was about 550. I've got my other rarities as well but too many to list. I've got my eyes on a pair or two of beams frogskins

There are some collectors here that have like 3 or 4
OF member owner who owns AP is very low. I know a not member who is off radar in collectors that has them. He live local to me and use an ebay name treefrogskin. Also, a former oakley rep i know sold two of them to a collector in Cali for 500$ a piece two years ago. It could have been mine

OF member owner who owns AP is very low. I know a not member who is off radar in collectors that has them. He live local to me and use an ebay name treefrogskin. Also, a former oakley rep i know sold two of them to a collector in Cali for 500$ a piece two years ago. It could have been mine
Owe i see his listings lol.

Being a new collector I've fell in love with frogskins and the various varieties of colors they come in. I'm just curious on the thoughts of long term collectors. Have they decreased in value and demand and have they been devalued by the new ones that have been released. I personally love having rare ones. Perhaps some stories on how you may have come by your rarities from the past. Or have most tried to move on to other styles. Just a discussion on even some history of these desirable shades.

Oakley eye wear value has dipped quite abit over the last few years. Some say its due to Oakley -> LUX, some say lack of design/innovation and others feel the market has been flooded with these "limited" edition. Maybe its all of these things. If you take the resell aspect out of the game, for most collectors value is assigned to the hunt for harder to find pieces - that's how it is for me anyway.

So in short, collect what you like. I wear all my frogs, cos that's what I bought them for. I do have doubles sitting in a box under the bed, but im sure Ill wear them too one day.

I haven't posted on this forum in years and the reason being is because of the OP's question. Are frogskins as valuable as they were a couple years ago? My answer is absolutely not.

Sure, you will always have the real limited and rare pieces that any collector would like to have, but unfortunately the frog line went downhill. As mentioned earlier, the Acid Rain series was the gateway to a terrible run of frogskin releases. Same color ways used over and over and mixed and matched in ways that looked atrocious, in my opinion. I sold many of my first pairs that i owned as those were the only ones that had "value" left in them before the market flooded with all kinds of frogskins. I personally was a fan of every fade design that Oakley has done so those were the only ones i kept. I don't think many people collect anymore or post on here as often like they did in 2011/2012, which is another reason i haven't been on here much.
When I started collecting in 2011, the only frame that fit my face well was the frogskins and that's when I found this forum and met many great people. It was a good run, but due to the lack of creativity being produced by Oakley, I moved on. Now i have only about 20 pairs of frogs and they're all for wearing purposes. I do wear Frogskins as prescription glasses so it's nice having the variety of frames to choose from to pop my lenses in and legs that interchange as well. They're still a cool and classic pair of shades that i think everyone should own (at least one). My only suggestion is that you collect what you like, not what everyone else desires, because some people don't even know why they desire a $500 pair of sunglasses.

Back