• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Are frogskins really not as important as they used to be?

I haven't posted on this forum in years and the reason being is because of the OP's question. Are frogskins as valuable as they were a couple years ago? My answer is absolutely not.

Sure, you will always have the real limited and rare pieces that any collector would like to have, but unfortunately the frog line went downhill. As mentioned earlier, the Acid Rain series was the gateway to a terrible run of frogskin releases. Same color ways used over and over and mixed and matched in ways that looked atrocious, in my opinion. I sold many of my first pairs that i owned as those were the only ones that had "value" left in them before the market flooded with all kinds of frogskins. I personally was a fan of every fade design that Oakley has done so those were the only ones i kept. I don't think many people collect anymore or post on here as often like they did in 2011/2012, which is another reason i haven't been on here much.
When I started collecting in 2011, the only frame that fit my face well was the frogskins and that's when I found this forum and met many great people. It was a good run, but due to the lack of creativity being produced by Oakley, I moved on. Now i have only about 20 pairs of frogs and they're all for wearing purposes. I do wear Frogskins as prescription glasses so it's nice having the variety of frames to choose from to pop my lenses in and legs that interchange as well. They're still a cool and classic pair of shades that i think everyone should own (at least one). My only suggestion is that you collect what you like, not what everyone else desires, because some people don't even know why they desire a $500 pair of sunglasses.

Thanks for the info bro, so there was a market thus the forum has an exchange and discussion for them. I have always thought the only reason why there was a section for frogs was because the boss loved them lol. I guess it was its peak when you joined 2010/2011. I guess through out the years it started to loose its popularity And its market and desirability went down( exception to a few of course). I wonder if xmetals will go on this path as well only time will tell i guess.

Thanks for the info bro, so there was a market thus the forum has an exchange and discussion for them. I have always thought the only reason why there was a section for frogs was because the boss loved them lol. I guess it was its peak when you joined 2010/2011. I guess through out the years it started to loose its popularity And its market and desirability went down( exception to a few of course). I wonder if xmetals will go on this path as well only time will tell i guess.

For me, froggies are still dope and I enjoy having them and buying them cheap when I can. But, I can see why the demand vanished so suddenly after those Acid Rains dropped.

I think when you start getting into a discussion about TRUE value ($$$), as opposed to perceived value, then are you really a 'collector' in the truest sense of the word anymore?

I started collecting Frogskins because when i was a young boy, my dad came home with a pair, and he would NEVER buy me a pair, irrespective of how many times i nagged and nagged him! They were just too expensive at the time. Now as a 30 year old, i can afford these things. Same deal with the Pro M Frame, which i now collect also.

My collection was not spawned so that i could stand in front of my cabinet and get excited about how few of these particular pairs there are in the world, or how expensive they may or may not be, but because i've always coveted them. I think we are all getting side tracked from the core concept behind why many of us collect these things - purely for the love of it.

I think when you start getting into a discussion about TRUE value ($$$), as opposed to perceived value, then are you really a 'collector' in the truest sense of the word anymore?

I started collecting Frogskins because when i was a young boy, my dad came home with a pair, and he would NEVER buy me a pair, irrespective of how many times i nagged and nagged him! They were just too expensive at the time. Now as a 30 year old, i can afford these things. Same deal with the Pro M Frame, which i now collect also.

My collection was not spawned so that i could stand in front of my cabinet and get excited about how few of these particular pairs there are in the world, or how expensive they may or may not be, but because i've always coveted them. I think we are all getting side tracked from the core concept behind why many of us collect these things - purely for the love of it.

Or more importanly as I see it, for the Love of Beautiful Design..........

Do price is considered variables why they dont have much love anymore? After all this years, frogskins are marketed towards everyone as the most affordable pair.

Do price is considered variables why they dont have much love anymore? After all this years, frogskins are marketed towards everyone as the most affordable pair.

Hmmmm i am guessing the majority moved to a more better and good looking frame like the x metals series with more innovation and style compared tonyour regular plastic frame. I must admit and please dont get intonthe offensive side the frogs feels cheap very plastic not a sigle rubber in them packaging feels cheap as well. So if younput them side by side to a juliet well what ubgonna pick??

Hmmmm i am guessing the majority moved to a more better and good looking frame like the x metals series with more innovation and style compared tonyour regular plastic frame. I must admit and please dont get intonthe offensive side the frogs feels cheap very plastic not a sigle rubber in them packaging feels cheap as well. So if younput them side by side to a juliet well what ubgonna pick??

As someone who used to collect both, it's all about preference. I can tell you that I know people who can look at a frogskin and a romeo side by side, and if you asked them what they would choose it would be the frogskin. X Metals don't suit everyone's faces. Hell I used to collect Juliets but I look like a douche in them.

I have to put them in my face and wear it. Since i know both already, i will prefer frogskin if i will wear them the whole day. I will wear the juliet so other people will notice me

Latest Posts

Back