• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Are NXT lenses much better than the regular polarizes lenses from Linegear?

admiralpepega

Oakley Enthusiast
The lens on my Romeo 1 is broken and I am looking to replace it with lenses from linegear. I am looking to get the lenses that look closest to OEM but I am not averse to buying a better lens.

Are the NXT polarized lenses much better than the regular polarized ones from Linegear?

As soon as my current projects are complete and paid for I feel some inspiration in maybe having these two in a couple XX frames! Really love the blues base layer! I never gave a look at these with a serious eye before.

Seeing what I see now I would spring for the NXT over Linegear in a heartbeat. Custom cut Oakleys will always be my first choice though.

I'm quoting @Japanese Jellyfish - "NXT lenses are made from the NXT polymer which lasts a lifetime. Most lenses are tinted, they peel in the long run. The colors on NXT lenses are embedded in the material so they never peel."

@cacatman

I'm quoting @Japanese Jellyfish - "NXT lenses are made from the NXT polymer which lasts a lifetime. Most lenses are tinted, they peel in the long run. The colors on NXT lenses are embedded in the material so they never peel."

@cacatman

Yes sir. That was what I learned from
Boss Daisuke🙏

The lens on my Romeo 1 is broken and I am looking to replace it with lenses from linegear. I am looking to get the lenses that look closest to OEM but I am not averse to buying a better lens.

Are the NXT polarized lenses much better than the regular polarized ones from Linegear?
Bought a pair of polarised + photochromic lenses from Linegear and so far very impressed. Arrived on time, (10 days from Japan to U.K.), good tracking info. and excellent detailed information on Linegears' website about the manufacturing process and fitting. The polarised + photochromic lenses are a bit thicker than OEM but are trimmed around the edges to make them a good fit in the frame. I am hoping the thicker lenses will help avoid the well known cracking issue on Romeo 1, also fitted some 15 temple shocks. I will update after trying the NXT lenses for a period of time but so far very happy.

Been reading about NXT lenses and found these info through Google search:

"The main drawback with Trivex NXT lenses is they are more expensive than polycarbonate. This is in part due to the manufacturing process and part in due to there is only one company (PPG) in the market that controls this proprietary production process."

"They are also more impact resistant than polycarbonate and are used in the windshield of the US Apache helicopter."

"Trivex lenses​

Trivex is another lightweight, impact-resistant material for eyeglass lenses. PPG Industries developed the product in 2001. Like polycarbonate, Trivex is an excellent choice for safety applications and children's eyewear.

Trivex lenses are made of a urethane-based monomer. They are produced using a slower, cast molding process (similar to how regular plastic lenses are made). The liquid lens material is slowly baked until it sets. This gives Trivex lenses sharper optics than polycarbonate lenses, according to PPG.

Polycarbonate vs. Trivex lenses compared​

Here's a brief summary of the differences between polycarbonate and Trivex eyeglass lenses:
  • Thickness. Polycarbonate lenses are about 10% thinner than Trivex lenses.
  • Weight. Trivex lenses about 10% lighter than polycarbonate lenses.
  • Optics - central. Trivex lenses have less internal stress than polycarbonate lenses. This might produce sharper central vision.
  • Optics - peripheral. Trivex lenses have a higher Abbe value than polycarbonate lenses. This may produce sharper peripheral vision and fewer colored halos around lights.
  • Impact resistance. Polycarbonate and Trivex lenses have comparable impact resistance.
  • UV protection. Polycarbonate and Trivex lenses both block 100% of the sun's UV rays without the need for special UV-blocking lens coatings.
  • Availability. Polycarbonate lenses are available in a wider variety of lens designs than Trivex lenses. (Photochromic lenses are available in both materials.)
  • Cost. Polycarbonate and Trivex lenses can vary considerably in price. But Trivex lenses tend to cost more than polycarbonate lenses."

Latest Posts

Back