• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Are Polished Frames Plated?

Sundalo

I should Work at Oakley
WPB, FL.
Are X Metals Polished frames(with the exception to polished carbon) plated like chrome or tin? Or are they just plasma frames that are polish to a high gloss?

I believe they are just raw X-Metal that has been polished to a high gloss. There are a few members who have re-polished their frames and I can't remember anyone saying they uncovered any other material under the surface. Several people have said its extremely hard to polish them because the metal is so hard leading me to believe that there isn't anything plated to them, its just the raw titanium alloy.

when you guys say "raw Titanium" you mean x metal finish/colorway, right?
Any of the finishes really. Obviously it would be pretty expensive and foolish to try to polish a 24k or Ti02 but a plasma or X-Metal XX should both polish out to a high gloss.

A word of warning though, the frames don't always polish to a "smooth as glass" finish even if you get them to a high shine. There are often small pits in the frame from the casting process that your average polishing won't be able to buff out. I'm sure if you search around a little on here you'll find a few threads talking about it.

Back