• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Are there any splice fans yet?

Haga

Oakley Beginner
Hi! IT seems i am about to get my first ever Splice sunglasses. For me, somehow it is the one and only cult, traditional, iconical Oakleys next t the X-metals. Ijust wondering if they stoll street legals nowadays, or i should rather put them on the shelves and just looking them. They will be the fmj clear blue ice versions. I hope i will like them. Thats ok i know for sure that they are not a suit and tie glasses, but for mountain biking hopefully they will be good to go:)

Splices are awesome. I have the same pair fmj / crystal / Ice and I still wear them occasionally. I am not sure how good they will be for mountain biking, but I can say they have a nice wrap to them, good coverage and the unobtainium ear socks are some of the largest. They stay on my head really well, so I imagine they will hold up fine. Enjoy! They are a great pair.

Thanks. I only afraid that they will be in a bad shape and if so, i wont have the chance to make them new again as i could do with any of the xmetals. I mean there arent any afermarket lenses, no earshocks, nse pads, nothing. No repainting for the silver "eyebrows" parts, nothing...

That's true. You can have lenses custom cut so the lenses can be made new again. Also some of the after market lens companies make scar replacements. The x-metal brows are the hard part. If they are scratched / damaged then you just have to deal. Also the screws sometimes rust were they seat into the O-mater frame. No mater what they are awesome. If they are not perfect, then you have a pair to rock and if you really like them, you can work on getting a pair or two to display.

I bought my FMJ/crystal/ice iridium around 2002-03. I used them everyday until about 2010-11ish. They are awesome, but unfortunately not polarized.

Since I bought my Ducati Fuel Cells, they have been sitting in my summer cars glove box as a spare set.

I should probably get them outta there and onto my shelf.

I found the ear socks to not grip very well, but besides that, they are awesome.

Thanks. I only afraid that they will be in a bad shape and if so, i wont have the chance to make them new again as i could do with any of the xmetals. I mean there arent any afermarket lenses, no earshocks, nse pads, nothing. No repainting for the silver "eyebrows" parts, nothing...

The Splice can be revived. While yes the Unobtanium will be hard to replace, it's not impossible. The upper portion of the orbitals can be repainted. Several of us here have had them custom done. Here's one i had done up with custom cut Ruby Clear lenses and the orbitals painted red:

15391589325_7479050fcb_c.jpg

I have a spare set of Crystal Blue/Ice that i plan to have the upper portion of the orbitals painted blue.

That's good to know.

But as I made some search, it seems it's not a do it yourself to repaint the orbitals.
Or the whole frame can be screwed to parts just like the X-Metals?

The Splice uses torx screws on the orbitals just like the x metals. I forgot what size, though. I think they're T5 vs the T6 for xmetals.

Also if you don't want custom cut lenses, you can get Unknown lenses to work in the Splice orbitals. They work just fine. I bought a pair off Oakleyvault.com myself.

Also if you don't want custom cut lenses, you can get Unknown lenses to work in the Splice orbitals. They work just fine.

Thanks for the info.

The Splice can be revived. While yes the Unobtanium will be hard to replace, it's not impossible. The upper portion of the orbitals can be repainted. Several of us here have had them custom done. Here's one i had done up with custom cut Ruby Clear lenses and the orbitals painted red:

If you don't mind, could you please let me know how to get them painted. I think the paint work will go well for other O matter frames as well. I have recently bought Scar FMJ red which has some red missing on inside of one arm.

Back