• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Are these Fake Oakley Frogskins? (Official Consolidated Inquiry Thread)

Hi everyone, I just received my first Frogskins from a local online AD, it is the model OO9245-6154 (Asian Fit). I also noticed my pair does have the 'USA Made' applied emblem style like the above post. I never seen this style of marking on Frogskins anywhere else online. I guess all the newer batch of Frogskins will probably have this. My question is 'USA Made' doesn't have the same meaning as in 'Made in USA' right? It could be just the assembly or certain parts that are made in USA? These are photos of my frogskins. Full album here.

Hi everyone, I just received my first Frogskins from a local online AD, it is the model OO9245-6154 (Asian Fit).

These are photos of my frogskins. Full album here.

Congrats!

I also noticed my pair does have the 'USA Made' applied emblem style like the above post. I never seen this style of marking on Frogskins anywhere else online.

Chances are quite high images used to 'show' a particular model are actual digital renderings rather than actual photographs. Renderings are used to provide a visual 'representation of the product' and for the most part do an excellent job of it, however the downfall in renderings is specific details such as SKU numbers, or stamping of production origin may not make the cut of critical info to include in the details. Hence why you aren't likely to see 'USA Made' on the images, furthermore Renderings give the creators the ease of quickly changing frame colors however altering the location/format where the product is made ie; stamp across the right arm vs a small red badge on the right temple tip would require the creator to go back to the original 3D CAD file and alter the geometry which is far more effort than LUX would want to go through, it's easier to just recycle the existing 3D file they have to be used for future renderings as it can be argued it's just there for visual presentation of the product thus it doesn't need to have every detail the pair you are holding in your hands.

TL;DR -
Oakley typically will use a digital 3D model for the photos shown online to give end users a good visual representation of the product. As it allows them to easily change the frame coloring to represent the colorway you bought, rather than photographing each pair one by one as it requires the photographer a lot more effort/labor (aka costing Lux more $$) to ensure each shown viewing angles as closely matched between all models per set of photos. Because of how old the original 3D file is certain small details might have changed ie Made in USA stamping and location, but the general visual representation of the product stays the same.

I guess all the newer batch of Frogskins will probably have this.
That'd be likely the case. As I've see the badge on some newer version of half jacket 2.0 as well as flight jacket.

My question is 'USA Made' doesn't have the same meaning as in 'Made in USA' right?
It could be just the assembly or certain parts that are made in USA?

Most likely the case. I believe there's a law with a given percentage of 'production' of a product needs to be within the USA for a company to put a claim of made in the USA. While I don't believe you need to fulfill any production criteria to claim a product as one made through a USA company, or assembled within the country (so long as it's true, duh), hence this format "USA Made" can be confused as being the same as the original "Made in USA" while it's reality it likely actually means designed/assembled here - as I couldn't imagine why Lux would bring production of one of their cheapest frames back to the homeland if they could make a large profit margin keeping it overseas...?

Real? Fake?

Real? Fake?

Comes down to a he said she said thing. Could very well be real but he’d need some sort of authenticity from Brian.

Rams- Takumi pairs are not all signed. I have a Takumi pair that he did pretty early on. It was a well-known pair, but I had to meet up with him a couple years after the fact to have him sign it.

Rams- Takumi pairs are not all signed. I have a Takumi pair that he did pretty early on. It was a well-known pair, but I had to meet up with him a couple years after the fact to have him sign it.
Sorry I am sure there is tons of pairs he has painted that were him just messing around but his actual customs are almost always signed and I would never buy anything that was said to be done by him and not signed and probably also check with him via social media first too. Way to many fakes and crooks out there trying to make a buck.

Sorry I am sure there is tons of pairs he has painted that were him just messing around but his actual customs are almost always signed and I would never buy anything that was said to be done by him and not signed and probably also check with him via social media first too. Way to many fakes and crooks out there trying to make a buck.
hi, i don't know how to reply you in inbox, how i do that?

Back