• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Are These Real? (Bruce Irons Hijinx)

Uluahunter

I should Work at Oakley
Hawaii
Hey gang! I picked these up off of eBay recently, and now I'm having serious thoughts that they may be fakes. I'm not sure if there are fakes of the Bruce Irons Hijinx out in the marketplace, but there are some things that don't seem right about these.

Here's what I think is fishy...
- behind the icons, on the inside of the stems, there are vents instead of a solid piece of plastic. I've been looking for examples online and every photo I've seen of other B.I. Hijinx's don't have this.
- the nose bridge measurement shows "19"...every other example I've seen is stamped "15", and the Oakley site states they are "16".
- the signature has worn off a bit, along with the stamp of the islands...but this may just be from constant use and not caring for the frames properly.
- they came with two sets of lenses...the "originals" were bronze tints (did these even come with bronze lenses?, I thought OEM was warm grey) and the ones pictured are VL ruby iridiums which don't fit very well (the right side lens keep popping out at the top of the orbital).
- lastly, the stems are really loose...as in floppy, sloppy loose!

I don't have much experience with Hijinx's, so anyone's opinion on this would be appreciated. I think I'm too late to file a claim with the seller for a refund, so I may just have to eat it. But I would definitely like to know if I've been had, then I will post the seller's name here so no one else gets screwed. If in the end the consensus is that they are real, I still got had...they weren't described honestly by the seller and were in a lot worse shape than promised. Anyway, please see the pics below...please let me know what the group thinks.

DSC04118.jpg
G]http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx133/bkuni0624/Bruce Irons Hijinx/DSC04120.jpg[/IMG]
DSC04119.jpg
G]http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx133/bkuni0624/Bruce Irons Hijinx/DSC04117.jpg[/IMG]
DSC04116.jpg
G]http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx133/bkuni0624/Bruce Irons Hijinx/DSC04115.jpg[/IMG]
DSC04114.jpg

I'm not a pro when it comes to HIJINX, but I have never seen the venting behind the icon before (technically I have, but it was on a fake pair). Seems REALLY odd to me! And yes, original version of this particular HIJINX comes with Warm Grey lenses I do believe. Also, HIJINX have kind of like a "lock in" feel to them when you fully opened the ear stems, where as a lot of fakes will just open/close freely.

P.S. what X-Metals you hiding in the background there? :smile:

looks like a pretty used but real pair to me with some lense modification . . .
:eek:)

The markings look real, the numbering matches mine. But my B I Hijinx doesn't have vents. And mine came new with Warm Grey as standard.

There's nothing wrong with swapping lenses around of course, but the pair you have there look really 'well used' to me, putting it politely.
Sorry mate but I wouldn't be too pleased with this purchase if I was you.

I know an easy...weird...way to tell if these are real. Hold them up to the light and if they look dark red...they're real.

Something was going on with the polished black frames when these were produced back in 2007...my black Collectors Edition Frogskins have the same dark red appearance!

I know an easy...weird...way to tell if these are real. Hold them up to the light and if they look dark red...they're real.

Something was going on with the polished black frames when these were produced back in 2007...my black Collectors Edition Frogskins have the same dark red appearance!
HA! i knew I wasn't going crazy when I'd see weird red lighting coming off my polished black frames.

This was due to a single drop of Shaun White's blood being added to the molding of every O-Matter frame.

Even prior to the Holbrook/Dispatch era, Jim Jannard was keen that SW's DNA should run thru the entire Oakley range.

Back