• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Are These VR28 Lenses? Ti Square Whisker

jracsis

Oakley Expert
PH
I have this Square Whisker which I think has the titanium frame since Ti Square Whisker is written on the ear stem. There is no SKU# though. I searched O-review and the closest to the titanium frame is the burnt copper/VR28 polarized. But my lens are not polarized. Hence, looking at the pictures, can you say that the frame is Ti burnt copper and the lens are regular VR28? I suspect they are since when I wear them, my eyes are very visible.

Thanks.

IMG_8226.jpg

IMG_8223.jpg

A couple of more newbie question. What are VR28 lenses? What are they for? O-review states that it has index 2 of protection. What's the difference between index 2 and 3? Also. VR28 allows 28% of light to pass through.

The Oakley Review - Catalogue Listing

The first picture looks like VR28. It's a rose color, the name means "Violet Rust, 28%" for the color and light transmission. I really like VR28 for days that aren't intensely sunny. The color provides a good enhanced contrast without washing out certain colors. When wearing them you'll notice warm colors (red, yellow, orange) will look more "intense" or they'll tend to "pop out" more. They're better than nothing, but on an intensely sunny day they may feel too bright where a darker lens would feel more comfortable.

It's possible your pair is polarized and simply doesn't have the etching, or your pair is a MPH- Mister Potato Head set, made from a frame and lens combination other than standard retail combinations.

Test to see if they're polarized. Wear them in front of an LCD screen and rotate the glasses. At a certain angle the screen will black out as the polarizing filter blocks all of the light from the LCD. My polarized pairs do this when turned sideways (temples up and down).

that is confirmed to be burnt copper/VR28. vr28 does NOT come in a polarised option, only VR28 Black iridium does. the latter has a black iridium coating and is reflective.

i suspect this is an MPH combination from a vault.

Thanks Rustpot and BriP.

@Rustpot, The info on the definition of VR28 is very informative. I can confirm that these are not polarized doing several polarized tests with it.

@BriP. After doing some reading into Oakley's lens tints options, they have a VR28 polarized option which is different from VR28 black iridium polarized. Oakley Sunglass Lens Tint | Oakley.com

For the VR28 non polarized lenses, it says that the protection index is only 2. Does it mean that not all UV rays are filtered out since it lets more light to pass though?

If that's the one you got from SteepAndCheap, then yeah, it's the Vr28 variant, non black iridium. Still a very nice lens to use during early morning/evening hours. Not very useful in direct sun though :smile:

These glasses were actually just given to me by my brother without the box since he is no longer using it. I was just curious since I cannot find the exact model in the O-review database. :)

it still filters all UV light, the lack of an iridium coating means the visible light transmission is higher (brighter) and doesnt cut glare as much.

and ive actually never seen VR28 polarised. good to know, but as far as usefulness goes its kinda like having a shield with a hole in it - iridium is arguably more effective (although each has its advantages)

it still filters all UV light, the lack of an iridium coating means the visible light transmission is higher (brighter) and doesnt cut glare as much.

and ive actually never seen VR28 polarised. good to know, but as far as usefulness goes its kinda like having a shield with a hole in it - iridium is arguably more effective (although each has its advantages)

The polarizing filter adds a grey base and reduces transmission when added to a lens. That drops VR28 polarized into the same range as +Red, Blue, and a few other 15-17% lenses.

I'd also take VR28 polarized over VR28 Blue iridium any day of the week. Iridium cuts incident light that causes glare a bit, but polarized will do a much better job removing glare from flat objects. And for all intents and purposes of this discussion, the Earth is flat and is bigger than anything else you can see that has some glare on it.

I do wish Oakley offered more polarized choices. I'd love to swap a couple black iridium pairs I have to something polarized.