turbine works, but is not the same base curve but as close as it gets. (more flat than curved) flak 2.0 IS ALMOST USELESS as a donor (penny, maybe juliet) because of the notch on the side, (in hand you will see what i mean) I do know of the latest lenses the RPM (womens) is suitable for an r1 donor but am unsure of what colors they come in, at least until the madman comes out with replacement lenses.
Can't even find RPM lenses on the Oakley website. hmmm

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses
Register to Not see this ad
The Turbine is most definitely a lower base curve which gives it a slightly flatter appearance but is a donor for R1. The Flak Jacket XLJ lenses are the same base curve as Juliet, Penny, R1, R2, etc but aren't big enough for the R1, although they are donors for Juliets and Pennys. I'm not a lens cutter FYI but have had numerous lenses custom cut for all my nicer pairs on display.

Edit: haha, I'm too slow, dragonvoi had you covered. Basically what he said, lol

XX and Juliet have the same baseline curve as R1 (8.75), and Turbine donors seem to work very well on those. But so many people say that Turbine is a different curve. man, what to do?

D

dragonvoi

XX and Juliet have the same baseline curve as R1 (8.75), and Turbine donors seem to work very well on those. But so many people say that Turbine is a different curve. man, what to do?
do you have an O store close to you? if so, bring a Romeo donor lens over and see what you think for yourself by laying the lens on top of the turbine lens and see if you like how the appearance would possibly affect how you like it.

joecool862

Keeper of the Skull
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Kansas City Baby!
do you have an O store close to you? if so, bring a Romeo donor lens over and see what you think for yourself by laying the lens on top of the turbine lens and see if you like how the appearance would possibly affect how you like it.
This! No better way than to get your hands on one and check it out for yourself! Are you planning on cutting these yourself or using one of our lens cutters?

This! No better way than to get your hands on one and check it out for yourself! Are you planning on cutting these yourself or using one of our lens cutters?

IH is doing it. I'd like to learn, so I'm accumulating screwed up lenses to play with. But the New sapphires, I'll let the experts take care of them

Chris A Hardaway

The Man Loves to Chop 'Em.
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
San Luis Obispo, CA
Can't even find RPM lenses on the Oakley website.
They are an older style now (rpm). I have a feeling they will discontinue soon. Look on eBay. Every color is on backorder except "VR28 black Iridium". See attached picture. PS they only have 2 pair left! Turbine is a great donor for XX, Romeo, but that is really because of the available colors... Ie PRIZM. Due to the flatter 6-7 base curve, and ellipsoid, toric nature of the lenses they aren't the "perfect" perfectionist's proper fit. I'm okay with it like I say because of the available colors, not available elsewhere. But on Juliet or penny I'd rather use Flak XLJ, Flak 2.0 xl, and Half jacket 2.0 xlj now. Hope that helps. @InfiniteHero I believe has done dozens of Turbine cuts. I have only done a couple, with a couple more on the way. But I've done Gascan cuts on Juliet and its the same idea.
Screenshot_2015-10-11-10-57-24.png

They are an older style now (rpm). I have a feeling they will discontinue soon. Look on eBay. Every color is on backorder except "VR28 black Iridium". See attached picture. PS they only have 2 pair left! Turbine is a great donor for XX, Romeo, but that is really because of the available colors... Ie PRIZM. Due to the flatter 6-7 base curve, and ellipsoid, toric nature of the lenses they aren't the "perfect" perfectionist's proper fit. I'm okay with it like I say because of the available colors, not available elsewhere. But on Juliet or penny I'd rather use Flak XLJ, Flak 2.0 xl, and Half jacket 2.0 xlj now. Hope that helps. @InfiniteHero I believe has done dozens of Turbine cuts. I have only done a couple, with a couple more on the way. But I've done Gascan cuts on Juliet and its the same idea.View attachment 189728

Awesome info man. Thx for taking the time; same to the others who engaged the discussion.

New Threads