• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Are X-Metals losing their values? New X-Squared

TBH, most "kids" (ie. < 30yo) won't have that kind of money lying around for a pair of glasses. $300 for a pair of used shades with no big giant "O" symbol???? Hell they'd rather buy something that's new, cheaper, and more recognizable in their crowd for braggin rights. Imagine someone wearing a pair of Juliets at the gathering... friends would probably dish him with comments like "duuuuude, that's soooo weird! My dad has a pair just like those for the past 20 years!". Then again there's cycles of of when vintage becomes fashionable (eg. wayfarers have been 'in' for the past few years)

And I agree with Dallas - I don't think metal prices would hit scrap-metal prices as they become rarer by the year. As time goes by, the broken pairs add up and the good usable metals in the market become rarer.

Personally, I'm not middle aged, at least not yet, haha! Got into metals after the first xmen movie. I've misplaced my collection from college which had some nice pieces. Now I've started a new collection. I wear them because they look bad @$$ compared to the crap the kids are wearing now and can take a beating. Every scar on my glasses tells a story, gives them character and personality. I don't care if they become worthless. All that matters to me is that I feel like the damn terminator when I put on a pair of xmetals :)

I love this analogy, but technically, the Terminator never wore Oakleys. It is disappointing to me that he never did, because I love those movies, but it is what it is. Think of how much cooler he would have been in a pair of Metals, if not in the original movie (metals did not exist yet), at least in one of the subsequent movies.

Metals, I believe can only go up in price among collectors. People think I'm crazy for spending that amount of cash on some frames, but I've spent more. I buy what I love.

There are a lot of good POV's here. Thanks for taking the time to share all your thoughts. Personally I love my X-Metals and will be wearing them when I'm 80. It is crazy to see the market jump and down the way it does. I know when I bailed out a while back my metals sold so fast I could barely keep track of everything. It was really fun tracking them down and finding NIB that the stores still had. I think overall I scored two pretty good buys on accessories, cases and glasses. The rest were were just luck of the draw.

I love this analogy, but technically, the Terminator never wore Oakleys. It is disappointing to me that he never did, because I love those movies, but it is what it is. Think of how much cooler he would have been in a pair of Metals, if not in the original movie (metals did not exist yet), at least in one of the subsequent movies.

Metals, I believe can only go up in price among collectors. People think I'm crazy for spending that amount of cash on some frames, but I've spent more. I buy what I love.

Let a Gargoyle sit on your face... ;)

Back