• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Are You Protected? How Can We Get Protected?

Belmont3

Oakley Beginner
Hello all, so a few days ago we got a call from our neighbor (friend) asking us if we had noticed any suspicious behavior recently. It caught us a little bit off guard as we live in a small cul-de-sac and quiet subdivision, and no, we had not seen any suspicious behavior. Long story short, another neighbor had noticed two vehicles parking in different places and very weird times of the day for 3 days straight and focusing on our friend's house as they were gone for thanksgiving. Since then we have been paying a bit more attention but seems like it has stopped as the vehicles have not shown again. This behavior made me think of my personal belongings, you know, the expensive stuff that also has irreplaceable memories, computers, cameras, etc. But also as my collection of oaks grows, and seeing many of you have amazing collections, I was wondering what can we do to protect a little bit more our gear.

I know that there might be a few police officers in this forum that might give us a bit of suggestions, or basically anyone in general that would like to jump in the subject. We have an alarm system, but I have heard very mixed ideas with them. I hope nothing happens, but I guess nobody is except from people that have no respect.

I guess something to think about.

Insurance. Anything valuable that is one of a kind like jewelry, glasses, etc should be in a safe that can't be carried off. Backup ALL documents, music, photos and financials on a portable hard drive kept elsewhere...I keep mine in a locked drawer in my Fort Knox of an office. And, if you are comfortable with it, get trained with and purchase a gun. Handgun and shotgun both are excellent for personal protection at home. Personally, after my local police department cut officers by 50%, I obtained a concealed weapons permit and carry all the time now, at home and away.

my collection is insured . . .
but if somebody will try to steal my stuff i will hunt him down like a Matt Kenseth Splice!

Home security is something i have been looking into for awhile.
I am purchasing a Gun Safe and possibly another safe for Important documents and Jewelry.

Laptops, TV, etc... can be replaced

First thing is first.... Safetly is number one!....... If you see something suspicious like an occupied vehicle, make your way into your home and lock the door. Get a good visual on the vehicle and call local Law Enforcement. Let them investigate why that person is there. It could be anyone from an insurance investigator, a PI, or even a potential thief. If they spend too much time there it usually brings attention to them. Give the dispatcher as much info as you can, especially if you live in a small community, and the vehicle is driving out as the LEO's are driving in.

As for alarms, Always, Always, Always get cellular back up, or cable connection. Experienced theives will cut phone lines. There are alarms availble that recognize a cut line and send out a signal. Also cameras are a great tool too. Especially 940nm infrared night cams. Don't skimp on the cameras. They are the most important part of your system you can have!!!! I can log into my cameras from my smartphone.

Hide your expensive stuff and don't use the common hiding places....

you bring out any and all firearms you may use for hunting or sport purpose, and you clean them in your garage with the door open in plain sight. I did this and all activity in my neighborhood ceased. We had cars broken in to a few years back, and they stole X Mas gifts out of the cars, but since. Not a PEEP!! Otherwise, insure your stuff, and do like I did, have a cabinet on each side of my bed so if anything even moved, I knew it lol....

you bring out any and all firearms you may use for hunting or sport purpose, and you clean them in your garage with the door open in plain sight.

Yes! Visual deterrents always have an immediate impact! I used to go out into my garage to shadow box and hit the heavy bag, nobody ever bother our house! LOL, just kidding! I don't own any guns though...just the ones that came with my arms!!!! HAHAHAHA, just kidding again! Sorry, I'm flying on medication...caught a cold...:tongue:

This is more of a reactive response but I have heard that if you do have things stolen it is better to claim that you had cash stolen for insurance purposes. If you say you had a $1000 pair of oakley stolen they will ask for receipts and back up documentation. This is from a friend in the insurance industry.

This is more of a reactive response but I have heard that if you do have things stolen it is better to claim that you had cash stolen for insurance purposes. If you say you had a $1000 pair of oakley stolen they will ask for receipts and back up documentation. This is from a friend in the insurance industry.
That makes sense but wouldn't the insurance company be suspicious that people keep that large amount of cash in their houses instead of a bank?

Back