• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Arm question

r3dh3r0

I should Work at Oakley
I just noticed on my newer Juliet's that nothing stops the arms from touching the sides of the frame. Like my Romeo's older Juliet's catch before they touch. If that makes sense. Anyway to fix this?

Screenshot_20200103-182354.jpg

Screenshot_20200103-182343.jpg

The nature of the casting and hand-finishing of the pairs introduces variance in the gap between the orbital and arm tips. I've see this vary from 1/4" to about 1" on some pairs when properly tuned, tight at the flex coupler/nose_bridge and level.

The Romeos were different as the length of the arms did not permit contact as easily. Not apples to apples there, but I understand what you are saying. ;)

Are your Juliets simply loose?
Is there excessive play on the nose?
When the nose wears the orbitals have a tendency to bow back, thus decreasing the 'tuned' gap between the arm tips and orbitals.

If you hold the orbitals where they would be if the nose was loose, then try to close the arm - does that contact still occur?

If so you just need your Juliets tuned.

If not, if they are tight and still make contact someone may have done a poor job tuning that pair. That should not happen but with the various aftermarket materials and DIY nose jobs it is possible.

You could also have arm and/or frame alignment issues .. Do the Juliets sit flat and level? Does one arm tip touch a flat surface while the other does not?

Just a few things to think about. Remember that Juliets and [real] X-Metals are all like snowflakes, each one is unique.

If the nose is tight and you'd rather not mess with that, but the arm/tip contact is annoying, then another workaround is to tighten the arms and/or add or adjust the washers/gaskets where the arms attach to the orbitals. If you are really brave bending the arms is not difficult, though I would recommend proceeding slowly and keeping the arms level with frame as you go if you intend to do so. Probably a good idea to have your lenses out and be careful not to apply any pressure to the flex coupler if you attempt to adjust the frame - reduce the risk of fixing one thing and damaging another.

Good Luck!

The nature of the casting and hand-finishing of the pairs introduces variance in the gap between the orbital and arm tips. I've see this vary from 1/4" to about 1" on some pairs when properly tuned, tight at the flex coupler/nose_bridge and level.

The Romeos were different as the length of the arms did not permit contact as easily. Not apples to apples there, but I understand what you are saying. ;)

When the nose wears the orbitals have a tendency to bow back, thus decreasing the 'tuned' gap between the arm tips and orbitals.

If you hold the orbitals where they would be if the nose was loose, then try to close the arm - does that contact still occur?

If not, if they are tight and still make contact someone may have done a poor job tuning that pair. That should not happen but with the various aftermarket materials and DIY nose jobs it is possible.

You could also have arm and/or frame alignment issues .. Do the Juliets sit flat and level? Does one arm tip touch a flat surface while the other does not?

Just a few things to think about. Remember that Juliets and [real] X-Metals are all like snowflakes, each one is unique.

If the nose is tight and you'd rather not mess with that, but the arm/tip contact is annoying, then another workaround is to tighten the arms and/or add or adjust the washers/gaskets where the arms attach to the orbitals. If you are really brave bending the arms is not difficult, though I would recommend proceeding slowly and keeping the arms level with frame as you go if you intend to do so. Probably a good idea to have your lenses out and be careful not to apply any pressure to the flex coupler if you attempt to adjust the frame - reduce the risk of fixing one thing and damaging another.

Good Luck!

The juliets have been in the box for years, they've never been worn. The bridge is tight and the hinges are super tight. So the arms aren't falling and hitting the sides, but they don't have that stop gap that I feel on my Romeo and X-Squared. I had another juliet where one arm would stop, the other wouldn't.

Good Luck!

Your PM answered all my Qs, thanks again!!

X-Metals have a small tab that is meant to stop the arms from closing.

Most noticeable on some of my XS’s.
The Plasma frame has nice arm stops, the polished frame has them bent.

Hard to tell in pictures, easy to feel when you run your finger over them.

@MJLSr covered most everything else very well.

F227B45A-F917-4314-970A-133EB0DE55F2.jpeg

FDC963F0-7CFD-499A-B04F-59E572F9ECE8.jpeg

8D44506F-54F7-4023-81B3-E9762FAD4351.jpeg

3EDADAF4-9C9B-4484-808E-2B7FA88C986D.jpeg

3FA8B5B2-A33F-466E-B862-0ABDCEE6EBC9.jpeg

C1698A9F-BCA1-4937-96BF-0A4DA11847AC.jpeg

A7C703B6-2315-462A-BE75-C5DF09A40050.jpeg

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 0
Yep. Just be glad you have a Juliet. That tab bent on an XS is guaranteed scratched lenses in the back.

Back