• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Bad Ebay Experiences

Oh I agree about our customs being a joke, I ordered a halloween costume for my son, it hit Canada customs on October 13 and was just released on October 18. That being said I've also had some items that clear customs within 6 hours, guess it all depends on how motivated the officer is to get **** done that day. At least I'm gaining some understanding as to why sellers hesitate to ship outside the US, still don't like it because it makes it harder for me to get stuff.

I usually avoid selling outside the US as well due to being screwed over twice on international orders, one of which was to Canada.

So now I avoid it just because it's happened to me twice already and I'll be a damned fool if it happens to me again. LOL

I have noticed that some sellers won't even sell to Hawaii or Alaska.

I've been lucky i guess. I've bought off ebay from the USA,had them shipped to me without an issue & not even had to pay any duty but if the seller is not listing as shipping out of the U.S i always ask rather than assume they do. No reply means no sale to me & i move on to try & find it elsewhere. It all about trust btween each other & there are too many people out there that try to SCREW YOU.

like Jono, i'm located outside of US also. I get around the issue of sellers not shipping internationally by using a trusted shipping company in Oregon to consolidate my purchases and then ship over via DHL.

numerous transactions w/o any problems... except for one unfortunate incident, which was resolved thru eBay/Paypal anyway.

Do you have taxes with DHL? In France we have to pay 25% more if the delivery company applies them (its not forced to be, sometimes it goes trough, when its national post, USPS and French post when it arrives in France)

I think the overall problem with sellers not willing to ship internationally is the lack of security provided by both eBay and PayPal. They are both so buyer focussed that it easy for a seller to get screwed over with malicious claims of items not arriving, arriving damaged, or being fake, and the automatic position of eBay and PayPal is that the buyer is right and the seller is at fault. There is no real seller protection against malicious activity.

PayPal seller protection is for confirmed addresses only, yet PayPal can only confirm address in the US, UK, Germany and I thought Canada but I may be wrong. There are over 120 countries in the world but to get full seller protection you're automatically limited to selling to 3-4 countries already. If you sell to a non-confirmed address you only get partial protection so you are automatically taking a risk right away.

Furthermore, in the UK at least, eBay has started to put a cap on what sellers can charge for P&P (S&H). In order to get any sort of protection from eBay or PayPal you have to use a recorded delivery method to prove delivery, but their P&P cap is less than the cost of sending a item recorded delivery (e.g. if you sell a DVD eBay won't allow you to charge more than £1.25 P&P, but the minimum price to send an item recorded delivery via Royal Mail is £2.95, £1.70 more than sellers are allowed to charge). To recoup that, you have to add the cost to the listing price which means a) your listing price can become uncompetitive compared to other sellers and b) eBay take a 10% cut of the listing price but 0% of P&P costs, so if you add the extra P&P costs to the listing, they make themselves more money. eBay are forcing up listing prices by capping the P&P costs to make themselves more money, it's a scam, pure and simple. If you choose not to play along with this scam and send by normal post and not use a recorded delivery service then you don't have any eBay protection. eBay have forced sellers between a rock and a hard place, either pay them more money or take extra risks. It's racketeering on their part, it literally is paying protection money.

Beyond that, if you have a claim of an item arriving damaged, you need to submit proof that the item wasn't sent like that and that it was the courier service who caused the damage so you can get a claim back from them. This means taking photos of the item and packaging before you send them and then storing that in case you need to make such a claim. Who has the time to do that?

If eBay and PayPal (eBay owned) didn't behave the way they do, and offered sellers real protection, then I'm sure sellers would be more willing to sell internationally. Unfortunately, they are geared towards buyers only, and big corporate sellers/businesses who can afford a little leakage of items. Private sellers are screwed. It's really eBay at fault here (as er usual).

They can confirm on France too, well they can confirm credit card and bank account, i don't know if its what you are talking about

This is a little off topic, but a user named zondiggity88 keeps putting his artist series/limited edition sunnies up for bidding for 7 days. When there's One (1) day left, he just cancels every single freaking auction. He's done this twice now, and it's pissing me off...I wanted those Troy Lee Gascans :(

This is a little off topic, but a user named zondiggity88 keeps putting his artist series/limited edition sunnies up for bidding for 7 days. When there's One (1) day left, he just cancels every single freaking auction. He's done this twice now, and it's pissing me off...I wanted those Troy Lee Gascans :(

It is because he sells it to a best offer bidder, I have contacted him re this exact same thing!!

Whaaaa. So he ends all of his auctions at once? I was bidding on the Montefrio's and the Troy Lee's and they just went bye bye. I was watching 8 of his other things too and they all went bye bye :(.

Back