• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Badman & Oakley Madman - Review and First Impressions

MJLSr

I am Jim Jannard...
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Intended to be a thread of first impressions, brief reviews, and related commentary from those who have spent some quality time with these :)

Note: this is NOT a thread to debate "If'" they are X-metal, if so how much, why, etc... Just looking for your thoughts on these, X-Metal comparisons not required ;)

My take:

Badman: :D
Grade: B+
Overall: Better than expected, a pleasant surprise!
- The superior design of the two
- Excellent eye coverage = good sunglasses (not just for show)
- X Squared-sized with more of a C SIX type fit
- They stay put well when moving (they don't fall off your face easily)
- A nice variety of colorways (I have the Plasma/Sapphire & Dark Carbon/Daily Prizm; I might also get the Pewter/Tungsten soon)
- Disappointed in the Ti X/Chrome since the Al/O-luminum looked like plastic (over-polished, perhaps?)
- Design compliments the Prizm lenses since the coverage is very good - you get more out of them
- The only real negative is that the lenses make some noise when flexing the orbitals, which cannot be good long term, but at least they flex a little :rolleyes:

Madman: :(
Grade: C-
Overall: Disappointed
- The inferior design of the two
- They feel weaker than the Badman
- Not as similar to the Mars fit as they look - they feel way different
- Practical use is limited due to poor eye coverage - they let light in from the inside and out - more useful as costume jewelry
- The only colorway I even remotely liked was the Pewter/BIP - It had a bit of style and just enough color with a hint of 'steampunk' (so I bought that one)

//

Full review ?
Maybe, maybe not - I like the Badman more than I thought, but my expectations were low. The Prizm and Sapphire lenses are a big value add - and a practical one at that! The Madman is simply a disappointment all around so aside from having one to have one I am not really inspired to say much more about the latter.

Last edited:
@MJLSr great review so far! ;)

i make it short . . .

Badman - is just Badass - great overall fit - Grade A++
Madman - silly - nothing for my face like Moon or Mars - but still a cool design - Grade D

I forgot to mention - the standard edition (of both, less the Raw and Ferrari) all come with a standard brown MF bag = lame... you would think for something this special you'd get a bag with a little 'X' on it or something, but no...

you said the madman lets in light? might it be that is too narrow? and also head size varies? I have not gotten any yet myself I hope soon.

I forgot to mention - the standard edition (of both, less the Raw and Ferrari) all come with a standard brown MF bag = lame... you would think for something this special you'd get a bag with a little 'X' on it or something, but no...
Don't you mean the standard black MF bag?

The Madman is straight up awesome and I will be getting a pair despite the initial negative thoughts. From a shear asthetic point they knocked it out of the park. These are definitely more show than go and that's fine by me.

Back