• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Badman & Oakley Madman - Review and First Impressions

you said the madman lets in light? might it be that is too narrow? and also head size varies? I have not gotten any yet myself I hope soon.

definitely not a good frame for larger heads. The lenses are too close together, but it's also the way they sit. They don't hug your face at all like the mars and the lenses are too small and far away from your eyes to block light. On smaller faces they'll probably be better.

the Australian market is NOT getting the Madman????? Doesn't meet national approved standards????
Badman is available but I want the Madman style..
Try to support local market/industry and this happens. .looks like my money is going overseas...
#feelingrippedoff

the Australian market is NOT getting the Madman????? Doesn't meet national approved standards????
Badman is available but I want the Madman style..
Try to support local market/industry and this happens. .looks like my money is going overseas...
#feelingrippedoff
how the hell can sunglasses have approval standards?

Badman is an awesome frame. Only thing I didn't like was the clear plastic on some of the frames but the dark plastic nose bridge was fine. Thinking im gonna kick up a carbon ruby polorized badman soon.

Madman is a throwback and a shelf whore as far as I'm concerned. Fit is awful on me and way too much plastic on the nose bridge. Also when you fold in the arms they are extremely wide of the frame itself and unappealing in that form as well.

I was told they dont cover enough of the eyes or face to meet national standards???? :0
But they sold OTT to the local market and im sure there are thounds of other crap brands that dont meet those standards being sold here???....
Honestly I'm shocked!!! don't we as paying customers have a right to make the choice??
Ive been savin my coin and waiting for these now this?????
#stillinshock#v#verydisapointed

Intended to be a thread of first impressions, brief reviews, and related commentary from those who have spent some quality time with these :)

Note: this is NOT a thread to debate "If'" they are X-metal, if so how much, why, etc... Just looking for your thoughts on these, X-Metal comparisons not required ;)

My take:

Badman: :D
Grade: B+
Overall: Better than expected, a pleasant surprise!
- The superior design of the two
- Excellent eye coverage = good sunglasses (not just for show)
- X Squared-sized with more of a C SIX type fit
- They stay put well when moving (they don't fall off your face easily)
- A nice variety of colorways (I have the Plasma/Sapphire & Dark Carbon/Daily Prizm; I might also get the Pewter/Tungsten soon)
- Disappointed in the Ti X/Chrome since the Al/O-luminum looked like plastic (over-polished, perhaps?)
- Design compliments the Prizm lenses since the coverage is very good - you get more out of them
- The only real negative is that the lenses make some noise when flexing the orbitals, which cannot be good long term, but at least they flex a little :rolleyes:

Madman: :(
Grade: C-
Overall: Disappointed
- The inferior design of the two
- They feel weaker than the Badman
- Not as similar to the Mars fit as they look - they feel way different
- Practical use is limited due to poor eye coverage - they let light in from the inside and out - more useful as costume jewelry
- The only colorway I even remotely liked was the Pewter/BIP - It had a bit of style and just enough color with a hint of 'steampunk' (so I bought that one)

//

Full review ?
Maybe, maybe not - I like the Badman more than I thought, but my expectations were low. The Prizm and Sapphire lenses are a big value add - and a practical one at that! The Madman is simply a disappointment all around so aside from having one to have one I am not really inspired to say much more about the latter.

great review, thanks for the honest info

I might pick up a Sapphire pair soon... Will be hard to justify price though... But based on reviews it looks like I'll be considering a Badman. Really happy with this thread :)

Last edited:
I might pick up a Sapphire pair soon... Will be hard to justify price though... But based on reviews it looks like I'll be considering a Badman. Really happy with this thread :)

The saphire was a nice lens for sure and my 2nd favorite of the group I tried on so I think you will like them alot. I think the saphire lens I tried on had the clearer plastic for the nosebridge which swayed me towards the carbon/ruby combo which is less noticable.

The saphire was a nice lens for sure and my 2nd favorite of the group I tried on so I think you will like them alot. I think the saphire lens I tried on had the clearer plastic for the nosebridge which swayed me towards the carbon/ruby combo which is less noticable.
Strong point... I don't like the fact O matter is in anyway involved in these frames... The carbon would hide that well... I'll have to try them in and get a feel. Maybe carbon with sapphire?!?

I'm not sure if that's currently an option or not but it would look good. I'm not sure I saw a 'raw' or X-metal finish on a pair though so I was a little sad by that.

Latest Posts

Back