• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Badman & Madman Just Arrived!

What is Better?

• Madmen

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Badmen

Votes: 15 65.2%

• Total voters
How durable is aluminum as compared to titanium?
It depends on the grade and the alloy, but in general Ti [alloys] will be at least 2x and up to 3x as strong as Al [alloys] - there are some specific Ti alloys that are stronger, but those are exceptions to the 'general' rule. In addition to the strength Ti also has more elasticity than Al and a significantly higher melting point. Al is also abundant - and inexpensive. Most Ti alloys cost 8x to 10x more than Al, with some being 20x or more!!! All things being equal Ti and Al are far from equal.

I'm guessing the real issue here will be the way the O Matter and O-luminum are fused/bonded, not so much the O Matter or O-luminum themselves...

Conclusion:
O-luminum + O Matter / (Badman + Madman) = O-verpriced

Last edited:
not very durable unless they did something magical to the aluminium... it's a very soft metal that can't withstand the abuse anywhere near a titanium frame.
They'll hold up fine. They're sunglasses. What kind of abuse do you need them to withstand while sitting on your face?

"oh but what if they get sat on"
well I've seen plenty of broken xmetals from them getting sat on, run over, crushed, etc. They're not indestructible like people think. Titanium isn't some magical metal either. It can bend and break just like anything else, and sure it may be stronger, but once again, they're sunglasses, not some structural component of a space craft.

They'll hold up fine. They're sunglasses. What kind of abuse do you need them to withstand while sitting on your face?

"oh but what if they get sat on"
well I've seen plenty of broken xmetals from them getting sat on, run over, crushed, etc. They're not indestructible like people think. Titanium isn't some magical metal either. It can bend and break just like anything else, and sure it may be stronger, but once again, they're sunglasses, not some structural component of a space craft.
I definitely hear that but I feel like one of the purposes of xmetals are to push the boundaries beyond what is necessary, beyond reason haha you might say.

I'm guessing the real issue here will be the way the O Matter and O-luminum are fused/bonded,

Somebody, I think XMM in his lounge, posted a pic of a disassembled pair. They were "bonded" by screws threading directly into the o-matter; simple and efficient but not the most durable IMO.

My feeling is that the o-matter parts are gonna be considered wear components / consumables. Which is fine, as long as they sell replacement parts directly to the public (instead of requiring sending in for service) and aren't too overpriced.

And that could be a silver lining, since there are a couple different colors of o-matter and a few different colors of aluminum in the stock colorways, one could more easily customize new combos.

Somebody, I think XMM in his lounge, posted a pic of a disassembled pair. They were "bonded" by screws threading directly into the o-matter; simple and efficient but not the most durable IMO.

My feeling is that the o-matter parts are gonna be considered wear components / consumables. Which is fine, as long as they sell replacement parts directly to the public (instead of requiring sending in for service) and aren't too overpriced.

And that could be a silver lining, since there are a couple different colors of o-matter and a few different colors of aluminum in the stock colorways, one could more easily customize new combos.
Completely agree with you there. It would be pretty nice to be able to get different colors and what not to customize a pair. I mean, how hard can it be to sell those parts in different colors? Come on Oakley, make it happen!

They were "bonded" by screws threading directly into the o-matter; simple and efficient but not the most durable IMO.
I saw that and just shook my head. I guess its 6 of one and a half dozen of the other threading into O Matter or O-luminum? Neither option really gives me confidence in the durability. The screws are probably the strongest piece of that puzzle.

My feeling is that the o-matter parts are gonna be considered wear components / consumables
That would be unfortunate. If Oakley cannot stand behind the product as a whole for the standard 1 (or 2) yr warranty period that speaks volumes to the confidence they have in it...

OCP... DIY... DIYDS
I think we will see a lot of these setups.
There are just too many modding junkies in these parts ;)

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back